Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member rockerZ71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH
    Insulation
    ridge rest pad
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Posts
    155

    re-introducing myself (in GA)

    Hey yall. I got a hammock (claytor) a little over a year ago and joined the forum, but never participated much. I have started backpacking a bit more and loving the hammock, and I think I am going to be around a bit more often. Great forum. I think y'all have me about convinced to get a sewing machine to make some new straps for my hammock.

    I'm in Lawrenceville, GA which is a NE suburb of Atlanta.


    One question: are dogs okay sleeping outside in the temperatures the North GA mountains get to at night during the late fall and early spring? Im thinking about getting a tent to give her some place to curl up by me if we are out in cold weather. For now, shes fine laying under the hammock.

  2. #2
    Poppabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Posts
    2,642
    Glad the have you back posting with us. I am not quite familiar with your fall and spring temps in North Georgia. But here in Southern Maryland they can get down to the low thirties to mid twenties at times. In those conditions I use my Speer Winter Tarp pitched with the sides low to the ground and with the end flaps staked in. Which creates a almost tent like set up. I use a tyvek ground cloth under my hammock. When my dog comes with me. I carry a small fleece throw blanket. That I put on the tyvek and she burrows into and curls up in that and seems to do just fine. She likes the fact that she is close to me. I never tried putting a tent up for. But I do not think that she would like being away from me anyhow and I would not like to have to carry the extra weight.
    Terry

  3. #3
    Senior Member rockerZ71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH
    Insulation
    ridge rest pad
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Glad the have you back posting with us. I am not quite familiar with your fall and spring temps in North Georgia. But here in Southern Maryland they can get down to the low thirties to mid twenties at times. In those conditions I use my Speer Winter Tarp pitched with the sides low to the ground and with the end flaps staked in. Which creates a almost tent like set up. I use a tyvek ground cloth under my hammock. When my dog comes with me. I carry a small fleece throw blanket. That I put on the tyvek and she burrows into and curls up in that and seems to do just fine. She likes the fact that she is close to me. I never tried putting a tent up for. But I do not think that she would like being away from me anyhow and I would not like to have to carry the extra weight.

    Thanks poppabear I guess I will try doing something like that when its colder out and see how she handles it. I wasn't talking about bringing a tent and a hammock, I was wondering if I needed to switch to a tent when its cold to have the dog sleep in with me. Of course I'd prefer not to go that route, but I definitely would not carry both a tent and a hammock.

  4. #4
    gargoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middleville, Mi
    Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Posts
    6,091
    Images
    46
    Yep, as long as its a "pup" tent.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mountainside, NJ
    Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Posts
    1,502
    Images
    11
    What type of dog do you have? A husky would obviously handle cold better than a short haired chihuahua. I have a Golden Doodle whose hair gets about 6 or 7" long in winter and has thick underfur. He loves to play in the show as it never gets to his skin. (Don't forget about wet as well as cold.)

    I wonder about my dog's ability to stay warm but it's not been a problem down to freezing. He sometimes nestles down into the leaves a little. On a cool night in damp terrain, I tried to get him to sleep on a plastic trash bag or my raincoat but he insisted on moving around to various other spots. I've thought about a piece of fleece or closed cell foam for him but he doesn't seem to want to use them.

  6. #6
    Senior Member rockerZ71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH
    Insulation
    ridge rest pad
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    What type of dog do you have? A husky would obviously handle cold better than a short haired chihuahua. I have a Golden Doodle whose hair gets about 6 or 7" long in winter and has thick underfur. He loves to play in the show as it never gets to his skin. (Don't forget about wet as well as cold.)

    I wonder about my dog's ability to stay warm but it's not been a problem down to freezing. He sometimes nestles down into the leaves a little. On a cool night in damp terrain, I tried to get him to sleep on a plastic trash bag or my raincoat but he insisted on moving around to various other spots. I've thought about a piece of fleece or closed cell foam for him but he doesn't seem to want to use them.
    Shes a lab/pit mix. Her hair is going to stay short. Here's a pic of her:


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mountainside, NJ
    Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Posts
    1,502
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerZ71 View Post
    Shes a lab/pit mix. Her hair is going to stay short. Here's a pic of her:
    Good looking dog there! Keeping the life vest on her would keep her warmer in the winter and she'd stand out visually in any snow or dead leaves! But seriously, a short haired dog with little body fat probably wouldn't be too comfortable at night when it gets chilly - I'm guessing that below 40, maybe 45 degrees, she would get cold sleeping on bare ground. I suggest trying to come up with something light but insulating that she can sleep on or in on the ground. Maybe a piece of CCF with some fleece attached to one side or a miniature synthetic quilt with waterproof fabric on the lower side (basically a compressible dog bed) or a very small open front "tent" with fleece inside on the bottom and a single or two short hooped tent poles for support. The trick (with my dog anyway) is getting her to use it so you may want to get her used to it at home.

    To all the other Georgia hangers - you're making me homesick! I was born and raised in and around Atlanta and went to Georgia Tech. My childhood was spent just outside of Palmetto. Then later I speny a good bit of time in Roswell and ran a small business around Lake Lanier one summer. My family is south of Atlanta in Newnan and Peachtree City. I need to spend more time back down there.

    Jay

  8. #8
    peanuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Loganville,Ga
    Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    Posts
    1,727
    welcome from loganville, ga (gwinnett county)!!

    since your dog is short hair, i would recommend a sweater or warm coat for sleeping and a raincoat! it will get cold!
    Peanuts

    "A womans place is on the trail"

  9. #9
    Senior Member rockerZ71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lawrenceville, GA
    Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor JH
    Insulation
    ridge rest pad
    Suspension
    nylon straps
    Posts
    155
    Lots of local people on here. I have friends and family in Loganville.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Posts
    190
    Hey rocker, I'm here in L'ville too. Welcome back to the forums.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

    "So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •