Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    No worries, medic. Besides, you motivated me to look thru some of the archives and see how some of the older projects and ideas have been transformed into what we have today. It's pretty cool.

But yeah...most of the questions on new threads have been discussed at some point here. Doing a search is helpful! But don't let that stop you from asking the question in the first place...often, that newbie's question brings a new way of looking at things.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I read about Turk and his winter hang with wood stove a while back... and wondered if I would sleep at all, worrying about CO.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    SB Pro
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Molly Mac Insultex
    Suspension
    rings & webbing
    You might find some useful info at Kifaru.

Teepees & stoves & such.
    montani semper liberi

I wish I had a cabin on the top of some big hill
    I'd build a fire every evening and listen to the whipporwill
    Eat my food out of a garden and drink my whiskey from a still

Darrell Scott I Wish

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow&Incubator
    Suspension
    BB webbing
    I've used regular spiro ventilation ducting as both chimney and heatshield for my lavvu/tipi with old cast iron wood stove. Worked well as chimney extender and heatshield with my new 14kW multifuel stove too (images). No hammock on that trip, but lavvu/tipi, bed, stove etc takes up a lot of space! Lucky my brother didn't make it to that trip or he would have to be swimming behind the canoe

If there's little mechanical contact and some air flowing between chimney and heat shield you don't really need much. With a tight fit (lots of contact surface, no ventilation) you'll have to worry alot more about what materials to use.

-Frikk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Co poison

Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I read about Turk and his winter hang with wood stove a while back... and wondered if I would sleep at all, worrying about CO.
    A wood stove with stove pipe where all the burnet fuel gases leave by the flue will cause no danger for co poisoning.

Most people that die from Co poisoning every year is with propane space heater or charcol burners where no flue is used in a closed small space.

To date I know of no one that has died from Co emmsion by using a wood stove with a flue in a tent.

fourdog

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Sil-Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've been coming at this idea from a few different angles, and just never get around to doing it. I've got a few packable stoves at this point and two shelters (a tarp tipi, and a modified 'Appy Trails) with stove jacks, and they make for a fun option.

The thing that keeps stopping me is the issue of space. since the tarp would have to have enough space to keep a rocking hammock clear of the stove and pipe, and still have enough living space to move around, you quickly get into diminishing returns even with a sub 5lb cyl stove and ultralight shelter. The stove keeps having to get bigger to heat the bigger shelter space.

I may still do the project as a car or pulk camping option, but it would be more of a proof of concept than anything that I would use regularly.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    My idea was all along to use a pulk and sleep on a cot for the same reasons stated by MikeM I wouldn't like the hammock swaying around . I think winter is my favorite time to be out in the woods no snakes no bugs and people traffic low.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    Med,,, I know that Turks was a prototype made by JRB and Turk had someone sew in the Fiberglass cloth.
    I make my shelter out of Silnylon and use a small ti goat stove. Here is a few site to look at below. I used my smokehouse with the stove about 8 times last year. Normally use it as a base camp. After I get the stove going good, I damper it down so it not too hot. Works very well and very comfortable. I do stay awake while using it… It also does a great job cooking…
    If you buy the stove from TI Goat, fiberglass cloth comes with the stove...
    Its hard to sew Fiberglasscloth on Silnylon, slide around alot... I sewed and attached it with 1.5" velcro.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=10274
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13588
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/v...ls&videoid=177

another site for fiberglass cloth... this is where I bought it from.
    http://www.beckelcanvas.com/products...products_id=27
    Last edited by SmokeHouse; 07-28-2010 at 12:58.

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    I also wanted to say that these little TI stove are normally good for about a hour before needing to refill… The sparkarrester does a great job too.
    I do have a Fourdog stove for a large outfitters tent and it will burn all night… just like being at home infront of a wood stove. I’ve had the fourdog for many years and has been a great stove. Kelp me warm below Zero many of nights.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Thanks smokehouse and everyone I see allot of people are fearful of the stoves as long as you have your damper open where it should be you are safe many of hunting cabins and wall tent users have used wood stoves over the centuries I will not deny there has been some co related death but mostly due to human error sometimes smoke stack got blocked from snow debris etc.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast