MLD Cuben Hex CTRL
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    1/8 Whoopie Slings
    Images

Ohio Adventurer Seeking Hanging Teacher

Hi All,
    Avid Backpacker & Touring Kayaker here who gets out as much as possible wherever possible. I plan 5-6 long trips every year. Always try to go somewhere new each year. This year, so far it looks like 7 days in Boundary Waters for my fall trip.

Let me say that I love the forums here -- A lot of good information can be found here if one is willing to look for it. Every day I read and learn a bit more. The biggest learning curve is the ability to tie goos knots from what I can gather. Aside from that most everything else is pretty easy. I’ve received a lot of PM’s from some very helpful members!

That said, I just purchased my first backpacking hammock just to keep my options open. Marc & Ike Thanks for the offers! The hammocks have not even arrived yet, but I'm going to give it a shot -- Not saying I'll give up the ground forever as some of my trips are above the tree-line. So I don't see my trekking poles working very well as tree replacements. But I will try it out for a few trip and see how it goes. I have a summer yeti UQ and plan to use my Montbell sleeping bags the top as of now.

I’m continuously trying to “lighten my load” when backpacking -- due to my weight, my options are very limited when it comes to a hammock. I'm not a gram weenie... not yet. Right now the hammock I just purchased weights more than my SMD Wild Oasis (15 ounces vs 24 & 38 ounces). But I can honestly tell you I’ve never had a good night’s sleep in the woods. I've always had to physically exert myself in order to sleep well. So for a few extra ounces I am hoping a hammock will cure that. Only time will tell.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Welcome off the ground, woo hoo!

Yea, counting my: new Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter pro, Whoopie slings & straps, Dutch clips, 13.5' X 10' Tarp & stakes, my 'House" weighs just a tad under 5 lbs.

My Nomad Tent & CCF Pad = just under 2.75 Lbs. 3 Lbs when I carry the ground cloth.

Theoretically I could 'loose" just under 3 Lbs by ditching the ski poles, which I absolutely need to set up the Nomad but don't for the hammock.

So, the hammock is about 1.25 lbs heavier than the tent, AND add the 22 Oz underquilt, , , , , ,

Even if I found a 1 Oz tent AND pad I would not go to ground to save weight. For me, sleeping on the ground makes any thing I do the next day 20 times harder, so it just aint worth it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

I just talked to a buddy of mine who backpacked, hiked, kayaked, and biked all the way across the South Island of New Zealand. He said that was quite a trip. I dont know where you live or exactly how adventurous you are, but if you are an avid backpacker, I (vicariously through my friend) highly recommend it as a possibility.

What are all the places you have gone?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the trees you will never regret leaving the ground.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    I do a lot of paddling and hanging. Hmmmm, sounds like an S&M site.

Canoeing and hammocking is what I do. Love the mix. You will really appreciate a good night of sleep after a day of paddling or hiking. Welcome and enjoy.
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

Bobby Seale

http://www.riverjourneys.org