Tensahedron Cordage Questions

Building a tensahedron style stand from 10' top rail. Plan on using it with a 12' tarp and an 11' hammock. What I'm trying to figure out is how long should the stand's ridgeline be? How long should the head and foot guys be? I have Spectra line with a breaking strength of 350 lb, is there any reason not to use this for these? I have 3/32" shock cord, will that be sufficient on the head guy?

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Adjustable on all of them is the only good answer. 10' poles are longer than necessary but give good tarp height. For those long poles I would allow 15' minimum ridgeline, 7.5' base, again adjustable to shorten as necessary. End guys: longer gives more flexibility, always. That break strength is more than adequate for the lines, but I would not use the same material to connect the poles, where stronger amsteel, steel cable or chain etc. is more appropriate.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

I don’t use a ridgeline on the stand but have it attached to the ends of the hammock. When you get in the hammock the tensahedron ends will change positions and may end up a shorter distance and give your RL some sag.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    I don’t use a ridgeline on the stand but have it attached to the ends of the hammock. When you get in the hammock the tensahedron ends will change positions and may end up a shorter distance and give your RL some sag.
    No stand ridgeline works fine too: prototype had none. It’s even possible with no ridgeline whatsoever, but feels sketchy getting in, bouncy bouncy. Stand ridgeline does make setup more convenient. If hammock ridgeline goes slack upon reclining, suggest you let out suspension and stand ridgeline a bit and/or steepen the lean.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Adjustable on all of them is the only good answer. 10' poles are longer than necessary but give good tarp height. For those long poles I would allow 15' minimum ridgeline, 7.5' base, again adjustable to shorten as necessary. End guys: longer gives more flexibility, always. That break strength is more than adequate for the lines, but I would not use the same material to connect the poles, where stronger amsteel, steel cable or chain etc. is more appropriate.
    Thank you. The top rail came as 10' and all I have done is cut them in half so that I can turn the sweged end in to turn them back into whole pieces but still be able to carry the stand in the car. Are you recommending that I cut them down to some shorter length, and if so, how much? I would like to stand up under the tarp. Do you have a recommended minimum length for the end guys? Basically I want to make sure that when I cut up my really long piece of Spectra I'm not ending up with a bunch of too short pieces. I'm guessing I should just use three 20' pieces from what you are saying. Also the poles have end caps and the end caps are tied together with the Spectra line so I would think that would be ok, or do you disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by woodscavenger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    No stand ridgeline works fine too: prototype had none. It’s even possible with no ridgeline whatsoever, but feels sketchy getting in, bouncy bouncy. Stand ridgeline does make setup more convenient. If hammock ridgeline goes slack upon reclining, suggest you let out suspension and stand ridgeline a bit and/or steepen the lean.
    I do have ridgelines on my hammocks but thought the stand had to have a ridgeline. So you can do it either way then? Perhaps I will try it both ways and see what happens.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by blrdgmtn View Post
    I do have ridgelines on my hammocks but thought the stand had to have a ridgeline. So you can do it either way then? Perhaps I will try it both ways and see what happens.
    Here’s a clean one, no stand ridgeline, pure cordage joints: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlRCbDmA...=13ni24sfkt7qe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --

No need for a stand RL. If your hammock has a RL then setup is easy.
    Tie foot end to something stable (truck hitch, tree, etc).
    Flare the feet of the poles to set your width. (You will be holding the ends of all 4 poles)
    Hook your foot end of the hammock then open the V of the poles toward the head end.
    When te V is wide enough you will hook the head end of the hammock to the head end poles of the Tensahedron. Since you have a hammock RL it will stop the V from widening completely.

• + New Posts