Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
    oes deluxe in spinn
    warbonnet blackbird
    crowsnest 3s UQ
    golite ultra 20 TQ
    osprey exos pack
    swoosh,
    The Osprey Exos is on my short list also. I have an Aether 70 for backpacking and a Stratos 24 for heavy dayhiking. The Aether weights in at over 5 lbs and is larger than I need for my 2-3 day backpack trips, and the Stratos is really too small for an overnight.

I tried on the Exos at REI last weekend (I don't have an REI store close to me and I was on vacation---got to the Las Vegas and Santa Monica stores!). Coming from the Aether, I thought the Exos was light on padding and adjustment. I wanted to get your thoughts (or anyone elses) on it....
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    swoosh,
    The Osprey Exos is on my short list also. I have an Aether 70 for backpacking and a Stratos 24 for heavy dayhiking. The Aether weights in at over 5 lbs and is larger than I need for my 2-3 day backpack trips, and the Stratos is really too small for an overnight.
    i came from an aether 70 as well. yes, there is significantly less padding. but i'll tell you what. i haven't noticed it. my baseweight is probably 13-14 pounds, sometimes less if i don't carry an alky backup stove or if i'm sharing gear with my hiking buddy (sometimes i leave the steripen at home as he brings his, or something along those lines). i've had 25 lbs in it and carried it just fine. above that, i don't have any experience, so i cannot comment.

i really, really like the pack. small little hipbelt pockets carry my ibuprofen, deet, and chewing gum - a neat feature that i didn't have with the aether.

the bucket pocket is nice and big. i keep my raincoat and tarp there... design-wise it's set up very similarly to the aether, it just doesn't have the sleeping back compartment thing at the bottom (which i don't use anyway). it is a well thought out pack that i really, really enjoy. a couple of loops on the shoulder straps allow me to store my knife and bandana out of the way, yet graspable at a moment's notice. the lid holds all my quick assess stuff (tp, balaclava, map, windshirt)...

personally i really enjoy the pack and i have not carried the aether since buying it... buy with confidence if you can keep your base weight down...
    Last edited by Wags; 10-30-2010 at 14:14. Reason: i use an Exos 58

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Current base and total weights

Thanks, that is good info. My current winter base weight (excluding food, water, fuel and clothes) with the Aether 70 is just a hair over 16 lbs. If I had an Exos, lighter tarp, and a real TQ (3S Burrow), it would be under 11 lbs, but it will be next winter before I can afford those high ticket items.

I am shooting for a total weight of under 30 lbs (with Aether and current gear). This is down from just over 40 I was hauling last year, so it is an improvement. I also have better and lighter boots and hiking poles, so that will help as well. Next year I would like to be down to a total of 25 lbs or less with the Exos, if I go that route, which I expect. One of my challenges is that I like good food, and that can sometimes bulk up my pack.

My next big trek is the first week of December, so we will see where I am then.

Summer weight will not change too much, as my warmer gear weighs a few ounces less than my high end winter stuff.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345