Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe, SWT
    Insulation
    Te-wa TQ+UQ, MW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

HMG Cuben Prototype

I didn't say it was a free prototype The specs are: Ridgeline = 129" x 104". It came with two ridgline tie outs with line locks and three guyline points on each side. I took on the center guyline b/c I think it's unnecessary and will be replacing the remaining 4 corner tie outs with a lighter suspension from arrowhead equipment. Right now it's 10 oz's with 6 line locks still in place. I am gonna snip them off as well. It also has three small d-rings inside the ridgeline to hang stuff. Being that this is the first run, Mike said it was a little heavier than he had hoped. Cat cuts are used throughout the entire thing and it pitches as tight as a drum. I also have a custom hex cuben fiber tarp from another manufacturer that has no cat cuts and it doesn't pitch nearly as tight as the hmg prototype.

Angelo

Quote Originally Posted by pisanodc View Post
    I didn't say it was a free prototype The specs are: Ridgeline = 129" x 104". It came with two ridgline tie outs with line locks and three guyline points on each side. I took on the center guyline b/c I think it's unnecessary and will be replacing the remaining 4 corner tie outs with a lighter suspension from arrowhead equipment. Right now it's 10 oz's with 6 line locks still in place. I am gonna snip them off as well. It also has three small d-rings inside the ridgeline to hang stuff. Being that this is the first run, Mike said it was a little heavier than he had hoped. Cat cuts are used throughout the entire thing and it pitches as tight as a drum. I also have a custom hex cuben fiber tarp from another manufacturer that has no cat cuts and it doesn't pitch nearly as tight as the hmg prototype.

Angelo
    Interesting. An inch shorter than a MacCat Dlx, same width. Currently 10oz. Doesn't gain you much over a MacCat Dlx in spinn listed as 10.2oz. Granted this was a prototype. How did it compare price wise? (again understanding that the price on the production model may vary).

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1, WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe, SWT
    Insulation
    Te-wa TQ+UQ, MW3
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

hmg

It is a bit heavy compared to the Oes prototype but brian is using the .5 oz stuff and, though its lighter, its definitely weaker than the .7 oz stuff that hmg is using. Check out joe valesko's( of zpacks ) videos of the different weights and their strength. Don't get me wrong, I want to see the weight come down a few ozs. I don't think that will be a problem with a little more r& d. Appreciate the input

Angelo

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    MLD's bomber tarp weighs in the 6oz range, with .7oz cuben, 8 line-locs and three hanging hooks on the inside ridgeline. Makes it seem all that more impressive.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's hard for some folks to justify the price difference between cuben and Spinn when there's not much weight difference in using the .7oz.

But I guess it's hard for some folks to justify the difference between Spinn and sil, too. Much more cost effective to just lose a few pounds from your gut first!

That said, I've lost enough from my gut that I'm getting a cuben soon...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12