Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Medford MA
    Posts
    31

    Over-quilt width

    (I couldn't find a forum for Over-quilts so I'm using this one since it seems the closest)

    I am going from a sleeping bag in my hammock to an over-quilt. However I have concerns about the width of the quilt.

    Right now I'm using an Old Rag Mtn as the underquilt and was expecting to buy anotehr one (the long version) as an overquilt as well. But then I tried sleeping with it over me in my bed to see how warm it was. I turned off the heat and opened my bedroom windows.

    While it was very warm, the problem was, it didn't seem wide enough. I would get cold around the edges. It's only 48 inches wide, like most JRB quilts.

    Does anyone who uses the 48" width JRB quilts in Hennessey Hammocks feel that they wish they had a wider quilt? Or does the curvature of the quilt minimize this problem in a way that flat mattress cannot? Because now I am thinking of getting something larger like the 61" wide JRB Katahdin. Only I get the feeling that would HUGE inside a hammock.

    I would test this myself but will not have a chance to in my hammock before I leave for long-weekend hiking trip in Vermont. I can always take my sleeping bag but I would like to take a quilt.

    I'm a normal sized guy. 6 feet tall, 160 pounds.

  2. #2
    Member Big E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Goshen, KY
    Posts
    71
    I have a Western Mountaineering Mytlite that opens fully for a quilt with our without a footbox. It works very well for me and is more than wide enough.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Redtail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Middletown, MD
    Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Posts
    334
    Images
    6
    I think you are right about the curvature of the hammock helping to keep the quilt tucked around your sides. I don't have a down quilt but tested out a 49" wide climashield quilt last weekend and had no problems keeping under the quilt, and I move around a lot. It doesn't work as well on a flat mattress because it is so light, it doesn't have the weight necessary to drape around my body without "help". Climashield is stiffer than down though.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Medford MA
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E View Post
    I have a Western Mountaineering Mytlite that opens fully for a quilt with our without a footbox. It works very well for me and is more than wide enough.
    Actually I thought about the WM Cloud 9 Comforter. It's 55" wide which seems a nice compromise between the Old Rag Mtn and the Katahdin. The problem is, they don't sell online, they don't rate it down to any temperature level like others, and finding a dealer who has it in stock within 100 miles of me isn't too likely.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Funny Money's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    FL
    Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Posts
    684
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    (I couldn't find a forum for Over-quilts so I'm using this one since it seems the closest)

    I am going from a sleeping bag in my hammock to an over-quilt. However I have concerns about the width of the quilt.

    Right now I'm using an Old Rag Mtn as the underquilt and was expecting to buy anotehr one (the long version) as an overquilt as well. But then I tried sleeping with it over me in my bed to see how warm it was. I turned off the heat and opened my bedroom windows.

    While it was very warm, the problem was, it didn't seem wide enough. I would get cold around the edges. It's only 48 inches wide, like most JRB quilts.

    Does anyone who uses the 48" width JRB quilts in Hennessey Hammocks feel that they wish they had a wider quilt? Or does the curvature of the quilt minimize this problem in a way that flat mattress cannot? Because now I am thinking of getting something larger like the 61" wide JRB Katahdin. Only I get the feeling that would HUGE inside a hammock.

    I would test this myself but will not have a chance to in my hammock before I leave for long-weekend hiking trip in Vermont. I can always take my sleeping bag but I would like to take a quilt.

    I'm a normal sized guy. 6 feet tall, 160 pounds.
    Hi,

    I'm 6'1", 175 and my JRB No Sniveller is plenty wide enough inside a hammock.

    The curvature you mention takes care of it. I have noticed no more issues of becoming uncovered at my shoulders, etc than I have at home in my bed w/sheet & blankets.

    You'll be fine w/ a normal width quilt.

    On a side note, unless you're a cold sleeper, the NS should be plenty in most temps, and in colder temps you can supplement it w/ your insulated shell, long johns, etc to beef up the warmth.
    -- Funny Money
    ------------------
    Love 'em while you got 'em

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Medford MA
    Posts
    31
    Thanks. It sounds like the normal JRB quilt should be plenty wide for me.

    And yes, I am definitely a cold sleeper!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,557
    I'm 5'8" 170# and my 48" wide Jardine quilt is more than wide enough inside at Hennessy Hammock at 48" wide, which I believe, is the same as JRB's stuff. If I were to build an uber-light quilt for hammock use I might make it 45' wide.

  8. #8
    Senior Member pure_mahem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bennington,VT
    Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Posts
    473
    Images
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    Actually I thought about the WM Cloud 9 Comforter. It's 55" wide which seems a nice compromise between the Old Rag Mtn and the Katahdin. The problem is, they don't sell online, they don't rate it down to any temperature level like others, and finding a dealer who has it in stock within 100 miles of me isn't too likely.
    Assuming the WM stands for walmart, If you can find the spot on the shelf where the label is Take the label to a Department manager or the service desk and ask them to do a item locator for you It will tell which store has it in stock. Hope this helps.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mahem View Post
    Assuming the WM stands for walmart, If you can find the spot on the shelf where the label is Take the label to a Department manager or the service desk and ask them to do a item locator for you It will tell which store has it in stock. Hope this helps.
    Not quite: Western Mountaineering

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHiker View Post
    The problem is, they don't sell online, they don't rate it down to any temperature level like others, and finding a dealer who has it in stock within 100 miles of me isn't too likely.
    I pushed enter to quick.

    Backcountry has it. The twin is: $215

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •