Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    And what temp is this one good to?
    It's two layers with an additional Torso Heater, just like the others. It's good to freezing, unless you are a cold sleeper!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have you tested it on a Blackbird? No problems with the footbox causing gaps or anything?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Have you tested it on a Blackbird? No problems with the footbox causing gaps or anything?
    It works just fine on the Bklackbird! The footbox actually helps spread the foot end and prevent gaps.

The 3/4 pattern is a shortened version of the Universal IX UQ, which was made for the BB. The same 3/4 pattern is used to make 5-in-1 Jerry Chair UQs.

I remember the day I realized that, instead the full size BB UQ pattern being something different and unique, it actually is a pattern that fits all gathered end hammocks well. Hammocks that have no footbox, or that are smaller overall, just end up with more coverage.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Mac, just got my new Baby Orca IX UQ in the mail! Let me begin by just saying WOW!

Very fine workmanship, Mac. I am 5'6" and the length is just right for me. From the top of my shoulders it covers down to about three inches or so above my ankles.

I think this is the perfect 3 season UQ for the relatively mild temps in So Cal - I can't believe how small and light it is. This UQ will extend my camping time well into the Fall.

If I do any winter hanging, I will contact you about adding a hammock sock. It gets down to the teens in the winter in the local mountains around So Cal, and I read that you (Mac) stay comfortable with the sock at those temps. I recently bought an IX lined Guide Shirt as an insulation layer - I imagine that the Baby Orca, plus a sock, plus the Guide Shirt would get me down to the lower 20's and even the teens we see in my area.

Great job and thanks again! (Also, just a big shout out of thanks to everyone on this forum - I've learned a whole lot from you guys and gals in a very short period of time!)
    Last edited by lizzie; 08-07-2010 at 22:23.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just so I understand this right...

Packs to one liter size, weighs 8 oz, good to about freezing, works on all gathered end hammocks but better on the Blackbird, and no worries about it getting wet or babying it like down...right?

In the beginning there was talk about IX having more fiddle factor than other UQs b/c of the gap you have to keep between the IX and the hammock. Has this design fixed that? Can I just hang it on there and it's ready, or does it need a few minutes of fiddling each setup?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Packs to one liter size, weighs 8 oz, good to about freezing, works on all gathered end hammocks but better on the Blackbird, and no worries about it getting wet or babying it like down...right?
    I have no information that says it works better on a blackbird... the rest of what you said is correct!

In the beginning there was talk about IX having more fiddle factor than other UQs b/c of the gap you have to keep between the IX and the hammock. Has this design fixed that? Can I just hang it on there and it's ready, or does it need a few minutes of fiddling each setup?
    It has a differential cut now. The only fiddling is to close edge gaps, if there are any. If you hang it too loose, it may have edge gaps when you get in. The differential cut makes it unlikely to be a problem if you hang it too tight.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    didn't that orca in Florida, try to eat the handler of sometning? beware of orcas bringing gifts!!@#%$%

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I have no information that says it works better on a blackbird... the rest of what you said is correct!

It has a differential cut now. The only fiddling is to close edge gaps, if there are any. If you hang it too loose, it may have edge gaps when you get in. The differential cut makes it unlikely to be a problem if you hang it too tight.
    Just getting my facts straight so when I approach the Minister of Finance, I'm more likely to get approval.

You're really not making it easy for me to save money! I might have to get one of these sometime...how soon depends on what my wife has planned...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Jeff, on my full length version I needed to shorten the shock cord on the head end to get the gap fixed. Tied a knot in the cord to shorten it up. Works great. I got mine w/o a cover to save weight.

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Bat, thanks for the first hand account... the shock cord lengths are the same as the HH SS OCF pad, and they seem to work well universally. The Universal IX UQ suspension is 64" on the head end and 44" on the foot end. The 3/4 IX UQ suspensions are 64" on both ends.

You are supposed to find the best length for your hammock, when youi hang it on the gathered end knot, and either tie a knot to shorten the suspension, or know the right number of wraps that makes it work best.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast