Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    One thing that will help you with your prussic knots is to use thinner line for the prussic than your line. You are using pretty thick line for your ridgeline (7/64) so finding something thinner will be easy. Some 1.75 zing-it will bite down better than trying to use a piece of 7/64. Just another pointer. Set up looks good. All of ours are a work in progress.

Bat
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    So I get a 1.5 or 2 inch strap. Save weight and impact on the tree. Cost is a few bucks. Perfect.

Most trees in this area max out around 20 to 30 inch diameter with a few at 35 inches. Question: How long should each tree strap measure? I'm guessing 100 inches each? Purchase 200 inches of strap (cut in half for 2 straps) with my patented larks head/overhand knot and I'm off and running ... I guess??

Thx. Great help thus far. Heading out tomorrow, hoping for some more rain
    As for the length of your tree strap take the average tree size (circumference) and and about 12 inches and then add a little more to allow for sewn loops. Tying loop type knots in webbing is unnecessary as it derates the strength of the webbing. If we take the average diameter of your trees to be 25 inches and multiply that by Pi we get 78.5 inches. So I would say 8' straps in your case would probably do the job.

Visit Arrowhead Equipment, and get some of his 1" polyester or polypro tree hugger straps and you should be good to go. I would agree with the others that you should ditch that thick rope for your hammock suspension. You already have some amsteel to use a tarp ridgeline, which is way overkill. I would use that to make a couple of whoopie slings (pretty easy to do and lots of tutorials here) for your hammock suspension.

I would also agree about getting a continuous tarp ridgeline made from Lash-It or Zing It. Arrowhead Equipment also sells single line tarp ridgelines made fro that type of cord.

Another option for finding what you need is whoopieslings.com (Smokebait, iirc) has similar offerings for tree huggers and tarp ridge lines. You can't go wrong with either company as they are both active members here.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    My wife's hammock for non bug weather is made with straps. Two of these: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=207487_0_0_

Just take the long strap and get rid of the metal harware that comes with it using a hacksaw or rotary cutter. The are the lightest straps per foot I've ever tried, they don't stretch, and they have a 900 pound breaking strength. I use them for all my tree strap applications without a failure.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    ENO Single
    So glad that I got some positive feedback on my setup. I was a little nervous posting the vid as I am still in the noob catagory with ghetto gear. Overall, the dog (and I) stayed dry during the 15 minutes of heavy rain. That's the true test I guess.

I'll probably run over to autozone and get those straps that Sarg suggests. I can saw those apart and get those going without having to wait on shipping (bonus).

As for Prusik, still working on that. Such a usefull knot, it's just giving me the buisness re: success in getting it set. Practice, practice, practice. The correct line would be helpful but that Amsteel blue is my thinnest and longest line. I guess that I only need 1 or 2 feet of alternate line. I haven't found anything worth buying from the ACE.

For practice, I'll use the thick climbing rope (ridgeline) and then a short piece of Amsteel (Prusik practice).

Any suggest on what to buy locally from the ACE to go with the Amsteel? I know Amsteel is not ideal but it's what I have. Or I could look into the 1.75 Zing-It online.

This will turn into some large improvements for me. Thx!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zul View Post
    Any suggest on what to buy locally from the ACE to go with the Amsteel? I know Amsteel is not ideal but it's what I have...
    You could pick up some 1/8 inch diamond braid polyester rope from a hardware or marine store. Works good, is cheap and is readily available.

Hammock
    GT UL and Home Made
    Tarp
    Home Made sil
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ Homemade
    Suspension
    Home Made Woopies
    Any suggest on what to buy locally from the ACE to go with the Amsteel? I know Amsteel is not ideal but it's what I have. Or I could look into the 1.75 Zing-It online.

Redden Marine if amsteel is .20 a foot. Use hammockforum as a promo code and get 5% off your order. They also have the cheapest 1.75 zing it I think its $25.00 for 180 feet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12