My wife just got back from a trip to Watkins Glen in the Finger Lakes region and said, "We have got to go there together!"
Okay, so I check out what the NY Parks & Recreation rules are for hammock camping in state parks. Officially, it's a no-go due to rules about attaching things to trees. I called the park and spoke to someone on duty and explained that I wanted to hammock camp and after explaining just exactly what that means, (she had never heard of such a thing) she said that the director of the park would call me back.
Sure enough, about three hours later the park director called me. He came off as a level-headed guy. He had never heard of hammock camping before either, but I explained the use of tree huggers and the fact that hammock camping is lower impact than tent camping. His response was that although he hasn't seen this type of camping first hand, if my description was accurate he didn't see a problem with it. I also told him about HF, where he could find more info than he probably ever wanted to know.
So we're going to take a trip up there and have some fun. Hopefully our stay will serve to spread the word on best practices to the authorities who are responsible for enforcing the rules. I will keep you posted.