Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Need help with attaching cords

I purchased a HH Hyperlite, it's primary use with be for kayak camping in areas where tenting isn't suitable. Being new to the hammock scene I'm looking for a thread with photos that will show me the best way to attach the cords leading from the hammock to the tree hugger straps, using carabiners I suppose. Also looking for knot instructions used with hammocks without getting too complex, just want to keep it simple. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    GUIDE GEAR 12X12
    Insulation
    CCF PAD, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    RING BUCKLES
    I haven't looked through all of them [U]yet[U] but I'm sure if you look in the "Helpful Hammock Articles" you will find more than enough information to help you. With pics too.
    Also, there are plenty of pics in the Gallery section as well. Good luck.

Hammock
    HH BPUL
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

These Videos Will Teach You a Lot

"Run & find out" - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Cord Help

My advice is replace the stock cords with whoopie slings. The stock setup is is time consuming, especially for a beginner when several adjustments may be needed to get it just right. Check out whoopieslings.com which also has videos to help you. I replaced mine and love the speed and simplicity of the new system. Also check out the ProfessorHammock youtube vids on suspension systems. I use a lightweight carabiner attached via a marlin spike hitch (very easy) and tree straps. The whoopie slings connect to the carabiner and any adjustments are fast n easy. Sounds complex but it's far easier and adaptable to any size tree. The stock system will limit your tree selection especially if you also camp at established campgrounds.JMHO...BushMedic

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    I agree about using Whoopie slings and using toggles and marlin spike hitch very adjustable and easy to use. I just swapped out my stock HH suspension for whoopie slings last week. There is a video on the whoopieslings.com site and it is easy to follow. I wish I had done this much sooner.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I agree, the whoopie slings are soooo easy to use. (easy to make or just buy them). But I would also say that a good working know how on some basic knots is a good thing to know, safety wise. Learn how to tie the bowline, a square knot, half hitches. clove hitch and a tautline hitch.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/index.p...matedknots.com

thanks, for all the links, they look good so far. Will need to practice and have plenty of time in the backyard before my trip. And will check into whoopie slings.

I've tried the carabiner, rings and garda hitch and it's pretty neat. The other systems look impressive. But I was thinking that all one is trying to do is center the hammock and that doesn't have to be very precise. Initially tying off the hammock onto both trees using one or two figure 8's and then stepping back to determine which end needs adjusting and then finishing off with the figure 8 loops doesn't seem much more time consuming. That isn't to say I won't be adopting one of the other methods but I like using the most straight forward solutions when possible. What improvement I have found very beneficial is having several short length of straps so I don't have to wrap them multiple times around the tree. That makes it easier to move them up and down without damaging the tree bark. We don't seem to have a lot of smooth bark trees around here.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Be careful of figure 8 knots under pressure. I have had them seize up so tight they need to cut in order to undo them. Not what you want to do to your suspension lines.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have the HH UL ASym and have been perfectly happy with the stock setup. Have never felt it took me long to level it. Also feel it gives me plenty of flexibility. The HH lashing is quick, simple, and loosens with absolutely no problem. Simple and light. That's for me. To each his own.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast