Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 59
  1. #31
    Old Gorge Rat Hawk-eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Posts
    9,809
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    Any idea as to when they will become available?
    Have to see what Dutch can do ... I'm sure he's working it in among working for a living too! But they're worth waiting on! Keep an eye out for him to annouce availability.

    WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.


    "A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin


    Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream


    Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

  2. #32
    MedicineMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Roan Mountain,TN
    Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Posts
    5,596
    Images
    76
    Hawk-eye--another wonderful vid-so entertaining and educational at the same time.
    For me its a weight thing. If/when I get Dutch biners I'll simply weigh them against the soft shackles-lightest wins....for me a glove can come off for a minute to save precious nano ounces but I see the point advantage of the DB's.

  3. #33
    Old Gorge Rat Hawk-eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Posts
    9,809
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Hawk-eye--another wonderful vid-so entertaining and educational at the same time.
    For me its a weight thing. If/when I get Dutch biners I'll simply weigh them against the soft shackles-lightest wins....for me a glove can come off for a minute to save precious nano ounces but I see the point advantage of the DB's.
    Well thank you o'walker of the big sticks! glad you enjoyed the foolish side of Hawk-eye. OK actually that's pretty much every side!

    The soft shackles got the weight on their side for sure ... and they're fun to make. Gloves or no gloves ... I just fell in love with these little biners. Never had one so small that was that strong. Fixed the one thing I was not so in love of whoopee's ... not having a solid connection at the toggle.

    WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.


    "A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin


    Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream


    Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

  4. #34
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,257
    Images
    196
    My goal is to make the available through Jacks R Better the first week of September.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  5. #35
    Senior Member KerMegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Posts
    2,479
    Images
    2
    Yay!

    (msj too short, etc, etc..)

  6. #36
    HappyCamper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WV
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, 1.1 single
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Posts
    3,523
    Images
    47
    Great foolishness and I learned some stuff too, Hawkeye. Deadly combo! Thanks for the quick release demo. I was using the pulldown method to get the D-biner on my whoopie sling, but didn't think to use it for the release. Thanks much!
    I intend to live forever, or die trying. -- Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

  7. #37
    perrito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Morris County, New Jersey
    Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    BigMamajamba Spinn
    Insulation
    Bag/Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Posts
    585
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    My goal is to make the available through Jacks R Better the first week of September.
    Very cool. Thanx Dutch!
    perrito

    "If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

  8. #38
    Old Gorge Rat Hawk-eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Posts
    9,809
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Great foolishness and I learned some stuff too, Hawkeye. Deadly combo! Thanks for the quick release demo. I was using the pulldown method to get the D-biner on my whoopie sling, but didn't think to use it for the release. Thanks much!
    Thank you kindly my fellow patched Gorge Rat!

    WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.


    "A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin


    Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream


    Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

  9. #39
    Senior Member TiredFeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MD
    Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,100
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Glad you liked the video ... and I get it ... you love the nacrabiner! And that's great! It's fun to play with ... just a little too fiddly (made that word up myself ) for my liking. Still enjoyed playing around with them ... till this device came along.

    The Dutch Biner gives the rest of us a really really strong, light weight option that as I hope is shown in this video ... provides at least one simple way to rig a whoopee sling with a solid connector. I'm sure many other options and uses will emerge as the HF community play with these more.

    So I think we can agree to disagree on this ... But thanks for watching!
    Ohh - I don't really disagree with you. I just wanted to clear up a misconception there about gloves/mittens and the nacrabiner.

    I'm a gear addict and I would buy 3 pairs of Dutch biners right now if it wasn't that TeeDee and I have been on a crusade to eliminate ALL hardware from our hammock gear, i.e., the hammock, the accessories and the suspension (also all webbing). We have ALMOST succeeded with removing the hardware and totally succeeded in removing all the webbing.. We still have 2 AL tubes about 1.5" long each and weighing 4.3 grams each in the suspension. They are used to secure the rope huggers. We thought we could replace those with trail sticks, but the forces are such that trail sticks are too unreliable.

    It is still entirely possible that I will buy those 3 pairs anyway or that TeeDee may when he returns. The probability will go up considerably if either of us or somebody else can think of a non-suspension use that cannot be accomplished with a nacrabiner or if the Dutch Biner is so totally more convenient than a nacrabiner to justify the cost and weight.

    Irregardless, I think Dutch Biners are totally cool and if Dutch had brought them out 18 months ago, I'm totally sure that between TeeDee and myself we would have at least 6 pairs.

    NOTE: I think I may have just discovered a non-suspension use for the Dutch Biner where it may be better than a nacrabiner: we use carabiners and mechanical advantage in our food hanging set-up. Right now we use the Nano wire gate at about 1 oz each. So we could replace the nano wire gate with a Dutch Biner. Will have to examine more closely since the Nano's inside surface is curved, with no corners, to eliminate any rope chafing. The Dutch Biner rounds the corners, but that is not the same as rounding the whole surface. Hmmm - a possibilty.
    Last edited by TiredFeet; 08-16-2010 at 19:38.

  10. #40
    Old Gorge Rat Hawk-eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Posts
    9,809
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Ohh - I don't really disagree with you. I just wanted to clear up a misconception there about gloves/mittens and the nacrabiner.

    I'm a gear addict and I would buy 3 pairs of Dutch biners right now if it wasn't that TeeDee and I have been on a crusade to eliminate ALL hardware from our hammock gear, i.e., the hammock, the accessories and the suspension (also all webbing). We have ALMOST succeeded with removing the hardware and totally succeeded in removing all the webbing.. We still have 2 AL tubes about 1.5" long each and weighing 4.3 grams each in the suspension. They are used to secure the rope huggers. We thought we could replace those with trail sticks, but the forces are such that trail sticks are too unreliable.

    It is still entirely possible that I will buy those 3 pairs anyway or that TeeDee may when he returns. The probability will go up considerably if either of us or somebody else can think of a non-suspension use that cannot be accomplished with a nacrabiner or if the Dutch Biner is so totally more convenient than a nacrabiner to justify the cost and weight.

    Irregardless, I think Dutch Biners are totally cool and if Dutch had brought them out 18 months ago, I'm totally sure that between TeeDee and myself we would have at least 6 pairs.

    NOTE: I think I may have just discovered a non-suspension use for the Dutch Biner where it may be better than a nacrabiner: we use carabiners and mechanical advantage in our food hanging set-up. Right now we use the Nano wire gate at about 1 oz each. So we could replace the nano wire gate with a Dutch Biner. Will have to examine more closely since the Nano's inside surface is curved, with no corners, to eliminate any rope chafing. The Dutch Biner rounds the corners, but that is not the same as rounding the whole surface. Hmmm - a possibilty.
    OKIE DOKIE

    Doubt I could handle them with mittens myself ... but that's me I guess.

    Anyway ... as far as the food bag set up ... I don't think you'd get any rope chaf from the DB even on the test models like I have. I could be wrong ... I have been before!

    And as a gear head ... how ya going to resist getting a couple sets of these bad boys?

    WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.


    "A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin


    Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream


    Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •