Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images

Old Loggers Path Solo hike.

My wife had taken a week vacation but I couldn't get the whole week off so I took the end of the week off so I could join her where she finally decided to go. Well, she went to Myrtle Beach and I wasn't going to drive 8 hours(Thursday) to get down there to spend one day(Friday) before having to drive back(Saturday).

I figured I could use this time to go hike the Old Loggers Path. I have been out there 3 times before and never finished the whole trail.

First trip I blew out my knee coming down a hill. Second time I was with the boys and we got rained out from hiking one day so we were behind schedule and would of ran out of food so we stopped at the same place I made it the first time. Third time we were doing great until we realized that some people had to get home early the next day so we called it and just camped, yup you guessed it, at the same place I made it before.

So I was determined to finish this 27.1 mile loop trail. I made my final decision to go Wednesday night. When I got up on Thursday I got everything together and headed to the trail head. Listening to the weather report for up there they were calling for scattered showers Thursday through Saturday.

I arrived at the trail head at about 2:30 and started getting my pack all together, in my car because it was raining hard. At about 3:00 I finally headed out onto the trail. Yes, it was still raining. I guess they scattered all the rain on where I was. I hiked 3.7 miles and stopped for dinner and to dry out some. I set up my tarp and proceeded to eat and relax and decided to spend the night there. So I strung up my hammock and laid there listening to the rain fall on the tarp and woods around me. The soothing sound of the rain had me asleep by 7. I got up at 2:30 and it had stopped raining. I went back to sleep and woke at 6 am. Long night sleep was great knowing I had a 12 mile day planned.

After a quick breakfast I headed out. The day couldn't of been better, 70's, no rain, overcast with occasional breaks of sun. I took breaks on the overlooks to dry out my feet and take a nap about an hour after lunch. I finished the first half around 6pm. So I had hiked for about 11 hours and did 12 miles. I took a bunch of breaks and enjoyed the scenery. I didn't want to just rush through and say I hiked the trail but didn't experience it.

Ate dinner and was in my hammock by 7:00 but didn't fall asleep until about 10:00. Why? I don't know. I just listened to the sounds of a pitch black forest. I couldn't even see my hand with it touching my nose.

I woke up at 6 but rolled over and went back to sleep until 7. Ate breakfast and packed up and headed out around 8. Made it passed where I always stopped and kept on going. The day was again a nice day to hike, 80's with patchy clouds and bright sun. I ran into the only other 2 hikers I saw the whole trip before making the 1.6 mile climb to Sharp Top Vista and the best views on the trail.

For some reason I had thought the southern section was only 8 miles. So after hiking what I figured was about 8 miles I was getting excited about finishing when I came across a sign saying I had 3.8 miles to go. Yeah, wind out of my sails. Water was low, I was tired, knees and feet hurt. I ended up stopping, eating something, and rested my body for a bit before heading out. I hiked on, down to about 12oz of water left before I came across a stream and was able to refill my water and douse myself with water to cool down.

I started the final push with about a mile and a half to go after I got the water and I pushed myself to do it with out stopping even though my knees were screaming for me to stop. At 6pm, I was in my car heading home. First stop, a store for some Advil.

So after 3 failed attempts, I finally finished the Old Loggers Path. And I was happy!

Gear used:
    Hammock: DIY Asym, DIY underquilt, 30 deg down sleeping bag as top quilt.
    Tarp: 12x10 DIY cat cut.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I'm glad you were able to get it done this time Iafte. And my knees know what you mean. Thanks for the report.

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Congrats on finishing this time. Sounds like a good trip. I like to solo hike as well..usually no one around with my strange work schedule. Nice photo.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    THanks for sharing! Sounds like a good accomplishment ... hate to leave a hike undone so to speak, but I understand the knee issue!

Glad you got it done!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Congrats! Sounds like a great adventure. Glad you were able to finally finish.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Congrats. I have hiked parts of this trail, but never attempted the whole loop. Thanks for the reminder to put it back on my "list".

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    It's a beautiful trail. I was a little worried about water but other than the southern section, I was fine with getting water on the trail. You can set up water cache's on the southern section to help with the lack of water.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit 1.0
    Tarp
    MLD Spinn Asym
    Insulation
    JRB/HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps and spiders
    Iafte - Nice report and thanks for the reminder to get back out to OLP soon. I have done this trail a couple of times and its a great one to be on especially during the summer because of the swimming holes and the gorgeous campsite over at Yellow Run

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Loved the report. I love reading about any solo trips. I now have a "bad" knee and have to take it easy sometimes in fear of permanent damage. I used to just push through. Not the doc says to relax if it hurts.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I've bee eyeballing that path for some time now. Good trip report.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast