DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    It would be ok for a structural ridgeline and certainly for a tarp ridgeline. I wouldn't use it to support my weight.
    Sorry for the newbnessism, but doesn't a structural ridgeline take some of your weight? I'm 300-ish pounds and don't want to risk anything.

Rick

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    Sorry for the newbnessism, but doesn't a structural ridgeline take some of your weight? I'm 300-ish pounds and don't want to risk anything.

Rick
    You're right Rick, a SRL will take some of your weight depending on the angle of the suspension.
    If your suspension is around 30 degrees from parallel you can have very little tension on the SRL. The tighter you hang i.e. the closer to parallel the suspension gets, the more tension will be exerted on the SRL. The SRL helps you to get a consistent hang but ideally you do not want a lot of tension on it. I think Griz figured out how much tension was exerted on an SRL for a certain weight etc. and I think it was like 250 lbs. 550 is strong enough for this but again I don't think there should be a lot of tension on the SRL if at all possible. If you find yourself with a couple of trees that are really far apart and you cannot elevate your attachment points on the trees because you are short like me, then you may see a lot of tension on a SRL.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Cool, thanks for the clarification here. I have been tempted to add the 550 SRL but was a touch hesitant because of the fear of it failing with me in it, lol

Rick

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    One thing to bear in mind is that 550 cord is nylon, and hence, will stretch. That's what nylon does: it strectches. Since the whole idea of a structural ridgeline is to have the hammock set at a constant sag everytime it's set up, using nylon cord defeats the purpose. You're a lot better off using some 7/64" Amsteel, which can be had cheap from plenty of suppliers.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've used 550 cord for SRLs before and didn't like the results. I think it's safe enough, but as Hooch says it's designed to stretch...and it stretched enough that I stopped using it.

550 cord is good for A LOT of things, but I haven't found a good application for it in hammocking. Not strong enough and too stretchy for supports, too stretchy for ridgelines, too heavy for tarp lines and it soaks up water. Unless you just have a lot of it around and don't want to spend money on new cordage...

There is a lot of cordage that's much better suited for hammocking. Spectra, Amsteel, etc.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    One thing to bear in mind is that 550 cord is nylon, and hence, will stretch. That's what nylon does: it strectches. Since the whole idea of a structural ridgeline is to have the hammock set at a constant sag everytime it's set up, using nylon cord defeats the purpose. You're a lot better off using some 7/64" Amsteel, which can be had cheap from plenty of suppliers.
    Amsteel would definitely be better. I haven't been able to feel the difference in sag a couple of inches on a SRL would make. Most of the time the SRL for me was for set up. When in the hammock my SRL were taut but not tight at all so I could use 550 with no worries about its stretchiness.

Hammock
    HH Expl ULA-2QZQ#2
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    Incubator&W.Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    You're right Rick, a SRL will take some of your weight depending on the angle of the suspension.
    If your suspension is around 30 degrees from parallel you can have very little tension on the SRL. The tighter you hang i.e. the closer to parallel the suspension gets, the more tension will be exerted on the SRL. The SRL helps you to get a consistent hang but ideally you do not want a lot of tension on it. I think Griz figured out how much tension was exerted on an SRL for a certain weight etc. and I think it was like 250 lbs. 550 is strong enough for this but again I don't think there should be a lot of tension on the SRL if at all possible. If you find yourself with a couple of trees that are really far apart and you cannot elevate your attachment points on the trees because you are short like me, then you may see a lot of tension on a SRL.

Hey Grizz (or anyone), is there a link to that info you came up with?

...And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun... "TIME" by Pink Floyd

www.linvillegorge.net -Ken's site

www.heavens-above.com -(set your own "home" site)

Hammock
    Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Depending on how thick paracord is, I would probably only use at most 2ft, and that would mostly be bound up in the prussic. Also, can anyone tell me where to find amsteel and how much it costs? My current, rather thick and heavy ridgeline tends to stretch, and I'm looking to replace it with a whoopie sling-esque setup.

-Aduro
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AduroNox View Post
    Depending on how thick paracord is, I would probably only use at most 2ft, and that would mostly be bound up in the prussic. Also, can anyone tell me where to find amsteel and how much it costs? My current, rather thick and heavy ridgeline tends to stretch, and I'm looking to replace it with a whoopie sling-esque setup.

-Aduro
    Bought my amsteel at AHE
    Redden Marine is also well recommended.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Redden Marine has offered a discount code to HF members.

No matter how much 550 cord you use, you're still derating it with the prussik. As I said, I've broken 550 cord twice now. I guess there's a chance that yours will function differently...but there's a reason I don't use it anymore in my suspensions.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast