Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    1+ on the glowwire from Lawson. I just got my order yesterday.

Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Masons line is cheap. Strong enough for ridgeline? Maybe but I dont think it would hold abrasion tied around a tree in a storm long. It also tangles very easily. I just ordered Kelty triptease for my guylines. I am tierd of tripping on them in the dark. I dont want to reck my tyeouts on tarp and have already lost a coupe of painted ti stakes. Trip on the line and step on stake at night ! Gonner! Nope I will pay a few bucks extra not to destroy my sil tarp. We all hit these post especially as beginners. We listen to aswers and go ahhhh I dont need that. As our decisions to save start costing more we make educated gear decisions. The improvements are endless, always have been. How much we are willing to spend to be more efficent is the question.
    : Rememebr it is better to try and fail, than to not try at all and wonder what if?:

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The mason's line that is worth considering comes from Marshalltown, a major company of quality mason's and other wall-builders' tools. Most of the rest of mason's line is cut-rate crap, nothing but sting or twine dyed fluorescent and put in the big-box store DIY section.

The Marshalltown product is nylon core. Dunno how it can fail to stretch when wet. For it's intended use, that's not much of a problem. Masons don't lay much block or put up brick in pouring rain; and anyway, nobody on the job is trying to sleep, so somebody is available to wrap a little tighter a string that has stretched.

Want cheap and light, and don't care too much about limited wear? Buy polyester / Dacron kite line.

Hammock
    WBBB, Trek Light Dbl
    Tarp
    Black WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    I just prefer Sterling Accessory Cord found in most outdoor stores...Am I missing something here with all the fancy more expensive ropes? I must be missing something. I know I'm not as experienced as most, but I paid $3.something for 32 feet in Mount Rogers Outfitters today. I know it stretches somewhat, but isn't that a good thing? I've never had a problem with it.
    fishike

Hammock
    Snipe (Wilderness Logics)
    Tarp
    Cloudburst w/ Flyz
    Insulation
    HG Pheonix *20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Hooks

Bright v. Stealth

Quote Originally Posted by Towellie View Post
    What is the deal with not having reflective lines? I hear so many ppl poking fun at the newbs with glowing lines. Personally I don't get it. What matters most to me is nobody tripping on my guylines and ripping something because they can't see it. I've never understood the whole "stealth" concept. I'm a backpacker, not a special forces soldier behind enemy lines. Generally, random people who are wandering through the woods at night are not looking to ambush you, in fact, visually seeing the lines, will alert them to your location and in almost all cases will keep people from accidentally trodding through your campsite. I almost look at it as a warning to people that someone is already setup there. I don't really see any reason to be stealth/invisible in the woods for safety reasons, and because I'm not camping in areas where I'm not supposed to.

Love you Shug, you've literally transformed my passion for backpacking, I obviously just need a vet's perspective on this issue.
    As a Canadian Ranger (think local reserves) I sepnd a fair amount of time under my tarp. Usually hammock though sometimes bivy. My tarp is the HH Hexfly (dark green) and is quite stealthy in our area. I use Zing-it. Now in reality it is not likely we will ever see active duty and so in our more likely capacity of being called on for emergency search/rescue/community evacuation... it seems to me visible is appropriate. For that I find my bright yellow Zing-it with my glow in the dark mini line-locs protect my tarp from sentries not watching where they are going at night. As a thought though, I may pick up some Lash-it (grey right?) for stealth mode. For those who hunt or are trying to be low profile for whatever reason you may want to tie up a set of guylines with a loop at the tarp end for quick removal and attachment using a single prussik. I like to add a short length of shrink tube over my knot at that end to tidy up the knot.

In short two sets. One Lash it for stealth, one Zing-it for high-vis. Switch them out depending on activity or simply carry the other set with you (Zing-it is basically no weight).
    "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do in the country when you happen upon two trees spaced 15 feet apart." (John F. Kennedy's neighbor Jim)

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles
    Fishike

stretch is kinda bad. when your lines stretch during poor weather your shelter sags and that is not so fun. the nylon stretches and sags enough as it is having your cordage sag really is not fun. I tried to run a huge ridge line of para cord in the rain.......not fun.

I need more guylines for my tarp. Where do I buy the triptease?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancy Shoes View Post
    I need more guylines for my tarp. Where do I buy the triptease?
    Check out Glowire at the 20% off sale at Mountainfitter.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Doublenest.
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    slings and toggles

Glowire

Just got my batch of Glowire in from Lawson outfitters. My first impressions are better than what I expected. It has lots of reflective thread, and it has more daytime visibility than Triptease. Dyneema I imagine will be strong enough and fairly abrasion resistant. Look forward to putting it all together some day soon when I pick up my new tarp.