Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dance of the faeries

(Camp site co-ordinates at Nytebodaskogen, Sweden: 56.334084,14.390979)

There are lots of old legends and tales of trolls, faeries and other mystical creatures from the swedish forests of old. Nowadays there's very little old growth forest left in the country, so your chances of seeing them are very slim. I found a stretch of forest which is the only old-growth forest left in the southern half of the country. Being a biology student I had extra interest in it, and I was all over it and told my friend Jimbo we were going for a hang.

Luckily, this forest is strictly protected and there are more restrictions than there would be anywhere else i.e no fishing and no fires allowed. This also meant that it was very clean and many areas hadn't seen human activity at all for a long time. And THAT is definately a sight for sore eyes. There are not a lot of human-free areas in sweden but we definately found a gem here. You could really forget the world around you.

Anyway, we set off by car at around 10 in the morning and stopped for lunch at Olofström- the last real outpost before heading into the forest. Energized and pepped up we looked forward to two days of prime camping. That's when the skies open up. Someone seemed to have upset Thor and he was letting us know...

We reached the entrance of the forest just as the worst rain subsided, and headed off. The road soon turned into a trail which then just ended. It was bushwacking from then on.

Being an old forest, the trees were HUGE! Much taller than anything I've ever seen. Nothing like a redwood of course, but they still made you feel tiny. Even the ferns were huge. And the ground was a green sea of moss everywhere you looked.
    We've had a couple of storms here which had taken bad tolls on some areas, but I thought climbing over fallen trees was great fun- it was too far to walk around most, because they were so big.
    Jimbo is a big guy so I helped him out in the worst areas.

After climbing over a stone wall, which looked to be 400 years old in the middle of the thickest part of the forest, we found a pine with copious amounts of resin running down it. We quickly dubbed it "the candle tree".

After another while we stopped to catch our breath and wipe the sweat from our brows. And right beside us there was a boulder which definately looked like an ugly troll. Didn't think of getting a pic of that though, sorry! But it started me thinking of what an eerie place the dark forest can be around dusk.

We set our sights (gps) on a small lake which had a little peninsula going out into it. That would make a wicked camp site, and after reaching it we soon found out we were very right. It was a very isolated place and there wasn't a trace of civilisation anywhere near. Just enough room between the trees for a hammock, hardly any (wet) underbrush, and a rock just by the lakeside, naturally shaped to seat two. The perfect spot.

I set up my mosquito, and Jimbo set up his crazy orange tent. I got him to try the hammock though, and he liked it a lot

As the sun was setting we cooked our brought along food with some chantarelles we found on the way. And they were just as tasty as they look

We were pretty damp from walking through the wet underbrush but had no time to dry our clothes in the sun before it set, and weren't allowed to make a fire (all wood was wet anyway) so I sat up in the hammock and put on all my extra clothes for the night. I had half my tarp swung over the other side, but then it slipped down and droplets of water collected on it ran into the hammock and soaked my bee-hind.
    I worked for a while to try to dry the hammock out and got most of it, but it already felt cold to the touch and I started to get worried for the night...

We sat for a while by the lakeside and and had a few laughs, then it was time to sleep. I was cold, wet and uncomfortable from the get-go and there was no way I was going to fall asleep that night. Being awake burns more calories than being asleep so most of my next-day ration was consumed just to keep my temperature up.

I have chronic insomnia so being awake for an entire night is not really a biggie to me, but I do hate being cold. I got up at around 5 in the morning and then I was glad I wasn't asleep...:

The mist in this dead quiet setting was really magical. And with Jimbo sound asleep (despite the screaming color of his tent), I had a moment alone with the faeries dancing across the water, and snapped a few pics. (You can barely make them out in the last pic above ) The silence was almost deafening apart from a raven which flew high above the trees.

The mist was so dense that I could barely see across the lake, and when the sun sent its first rays over the horizon the entire atmosphere changed from bleak gray to blazing orange.

By then I didn't mind being cold or deprived of sleep. Even though we had some mishaps and bad luck, that moment in the morning made it all worth it. We were both really tired and with the food gone we made coffee in the warming sunrise and then headed straight for the car.

My first sleep in a hammock will wait for another time, but WOW what a great camp it was.
    Last edited by The_Witch_Doctor; 08-31-2010 at 15:31.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    great pictures! thanks so much.. KM

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    The Videos didn't come through, and the photos (which look awesome as far as I can tell) are postage stamp size.

Is everyone seeing it that way, or just me?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Only the first video didn't come through for me...the others did but I don't have time to watch them right now (work break). GREAT pics, though!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Yeah I've been trying to fix it...
    How do I make the thumbs clickable?
    The vids are "being reviewed" on youtube so we're waiting on them...
    Are the pics clickable to you, Jeff?

Sorry guys.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Witch_Doctor View Post
    How do I make the thumbs clickable?
    Copy/paste the "BB Image Code" from each image's gallery page. That embeds a clickable thumbnail.

YouTube embedding instructions are here.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Thanks sparrow.
    I read the thread but the first video still won't show up...
    changed the image url to the BB- code but am seeing full-size pics... :/
    But that's all right I guess.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    Witch Doctor,
    those were great pictures and video, I will be coming back to this thread for more viewing for sure.
    The old growth forest you have found is a truly special treasure, and I am sure that this will not be the only time you explore within.

I beleive that you may have had some troublesome and mischevious Pixies that caused your hammock to get wet and prevented you from getting a restful nights sleep, and more than likely they watched and laughed all night long. But....some of the "good" faeries may have taken pity upon the human amongst them and rewarded you for making such an effort to enjoy the old growth woodlot by sharing with you some of the wonders of thier home. And they even danced for you on the water....I could see them in your photograph, and I myself have experienced faeries dancing on the water very early in the morning.

This was an excellent trip report. So many times people forget to include pictures (or technically are unable to do so), or aren't descriptive enough in thier wording, but not you my friend...I enjoyed it very much and hope to see more from you in the future.

Best regards,
    Barefoot Child
    Last edited by Barefoot Child; 08-31-2010 at 15:08.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Now I can see the photos and video. Awesome!

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Wow.... that´s a very nice place you found there. There is something magic about untouched oldgrowth.
    I hope to go there some day.

/Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast