WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling

Inches of loft

Im making a new under quilt and had a question about the Baffle height and over all loft. On my first underquilt I used 2 1/2 to 3 inch baffles. It used 15 oz of down to fill making the quilt almost 30 oz. I want this one to be lighter. My question is. If the baffle height is 1 1/2 to 1.75 inches, and I use 10% to 15 % over fill giving me a loft of about 2 inches. except where the baffles are how much will it change the temerature I can use it in? The charts all indecate 1 1/2 inchs of loft is good to 35* to 40* and 2 inches is good to 15* to 20*. Do I use to the 1 1/2 baffle height or the 2 inch over fill loft height to figure to lowest temerature to ust the quilt in?

The measurement is in inches of total loft, as the down fluffs up and provides the dead air space to trap body heat! you mention your first quilt having 15oz of down? That is an awe full lot of down and sometimes adding too much down can hinder it from doing it's job effectively, as it can't expand to it's full loft and potential! Most 3 season UQ's will have around 8-10oz of down in them and are usually good to around 20-30*(just thought I'd throw that out there)

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Just figure your down amount based on its fill power 800= 800 cubic inches of filled space per ounce of down. Figure the cubic inches of space in each baffle and fill accordingly you can over stuff if you want but if you fill it right you wont need it.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    this is the way i figure out how much down i need in a quilt

LxWxH / fill power

so lets say i'm making a UQ thats 46 inch long.by 44 inch wide with 2 inch baffles and i'm using 800 fill down

46x44x2/800 = 5.06 oz of down ...i would say 5.5 to round it off...but that how i figure out how much down i need
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlespaul View Post
    this is the way i figure out how much down i need in a quilt

LxWxH / fill power

so lets say i'm making a UQ thats 46 inch long.by 44 inch wide with 2 inch baffles and i'm using 800 fill down

46x44x2/800 = 5.06 oz of down ...i would say 5.5 to round it off...but that how i figure out how much down i need
    Doesn't the fabric in-between the baffles bulge out a bit?? I'm seeing 2" baffles rated at 2.5" loft (for example). It would seem that you might want just a bit more (overstuffed?) than your LxWxH. I've never made a quilted item so I'm just asking from my "book knowledge".
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Doesn't the fabric in-between the baffles bulge out a bit?? I'm seeing 2" baffles rated at 2.5" loft (for example). It would seem that you might want just a bit more (overstuffed?) than your LxWxH. I've never made a quilted item so I'm just asking from my "book knowledge".
    thats a good question ....i use it to figure out the amount to start out with...
    now if it calls for 5oz of down...i would use 5.5-6oz to give it alittle overstuff
    i found that even without alot of overstuff my 3 season UL quilt still has 2.5inch of loft ...i only have 4oz in my 3 season

44x40x1.5/800 = 3.3oz of down...so at only .7oz of overstuff it fills out nice
    now for a winter quilt i would add 2oz of overstuff ...just to give it alittle more loft..

but for 3 season i really don't see the need to go to crazy with the overstuffing ....that and stormcrows down is alittle higher then 800...
    he has some of the best down you can fine

this is just how i make mine...so far i found 5-6oz of down is more then plenty for a 3 season 2/3 UQ
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts