Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member PKT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST PALM BCH, FL
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Posts
    187
    Images
    5

    Help with the Karo step

    Well I have my pieces cut and I'm ready to sew.
    Getting the baffles to one side will be easy but when
    attaching to the 2nd my be a chalange because each row is
    90 deg to each other.
    I'd like to draw on the bank of knowledge in here, any suggestions
    will be appreciated.....I'm really having trouble visualizng the process.
    TeeDee, AnimalControl, Tinker all did such great jobs that looked so
    cool that I just had to give this a try.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member JerryW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY 11' & Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,155
    Images
    101
    Thanks PKT.

    If you can mark your material where the baffles go, it will be much easier. I laid the material on the floor and layed out all the baffles on the top and bottom pieces so they would match. Then I used a strip of scotch tape placed where each seam would be. Start sewing at one end of the quilt and work across in rows. Then peel the tape off after the row is finished.

    Once you get started, it really isn't bad at all.

    Good luck with your project!


    Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

  3. #3
    WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    3,688
    Images
    204
    Get a nice big bag of clothespins to help hold the rolled or folded edges while you sew. Try using the first side attachments as a test run for the second side. In other words, don't do it the easy way, sewing a whole row of baffles then moving to the next row, etc., then rotating the piece 90 and sewing the rows in that direction. Instead, alternate between lengthwise and crosswise baffle seams. You'll need to roll or fold two adjacent edges of the piece to fit one or the other through the machine. If you take time to position the work carefully each time, the actual sewing should be pretty easy because the seams are short. By the time you've set up and sewn all 38 seams of the first side, the technique should be second nature, and you'll be ready for the added volume of material to control doing side two.

    Yes, it's more work to do it this way ... initially. Would I use this method? Probably so, even though I think I could manage the second side without practicing on the first.

    Good luck!

  4. #4
    gargoyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Middleville, Mi
    Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Posts
    6,091
    Images
    46
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

  5. #5
    Senior Member PKT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST PALM BCH, FL
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Posts
    187
    Images
    5
    Thanks guys I just finished tapeing and I hope to start sewing tomorrow.

    gargoyle thanks for the vid link, seems to work well as an underquilt.

  6. #6
    WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    3,688
    Images
    204
    Video skips over the part we were concerned about. Maybe it's not as hard as we thought.

  7. #7
    Senior Member PKT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST PALM BCH, FL
    Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7 Leftie + Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Artic KaroStep
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Posts
    187
    Images
    5
    Well today I finally got the baffles sewn in, wow what a chore I never figured out a proper way to go about it, it did get easier near the end but I was humbled by this project.
    As much as I like the Idea of the Karo step I don't think I'll do another Unless I make one with much larger boxes or find out how to sew it properly.
    The seam ripper has been my friend.
    It's down hill from here I hope to finish tomorrow and post some pics.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •