Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    No, you would have to remove the string to unload the whoopie. Otherwise, it won't adjust.

Using a whoopie to make such a small adjustment (equal to a few twists of a regular bowstring) is like using pliers to wind your watch.

(Remember when we used to have to wind our watches?)
    I know that you would have to unstring it.

I really can't see it being possible because the bowstring follows the grooves in the tips and an adjustable loop will change size and may not stay on the limb. Also as Mac said, small adjustments are needed and not in the realm of the whoopie.
    Last edited by Bubba; 09-06-2010 at 20:27.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Widerstand View Post
    What about during the tillering process of making a bow.
    I've never done it, and am unfamiliar with the role of a bow string during tillering. Can you explain?
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Green 1.1Nylon
    Insulation
    Foam pad/ Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie/Marlin
    Images
    I was just thinking back when I was into making bows, I wouldn't know exactly how long/short to make the string, which would result in having to make several, or twisting the string to shorten, or in one case I just put an overhand knot in it to take up some extra slack.

Was just thinking it would be easier using a whoopie to make adjustments. Yes, you would have to slip it on and off the bow to tighten/loosen the whoopie.

TiredFeet, are you talking about the changing in forces making the constriction of the whoopie slip and make it loosen, or just breaking the cord all together? Because I'm very sure that Amsteel is quiet strong enough to take the forces of a bow.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Super Shelter +
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I for one think it would make a lousy string. The very design of the whoopie loops on the end work against what you want in a consistent bow string. Whether you are talking an all wood long bow or a composite recurve/longbow the string materials need some very specific characteristics. Although many of the composite bows have gone to Fast Flight material the bows in many cases had to be re-designed to handle the less elastic Fast Flight material. I don't know of anyone using Fast Flight on wood recurves/longbows. I haven't compared Amsteel specs to Fast Flight but know that when I started making flemish twist strings with Fast Flight there was a learning curve in relation to number of strands used to achieve the proper diameter of string along with insuring adequate strength. It was also very necessary to manage the lay of the individual strands to insure they were all contributing to the string equally.

I have seen a number of traditional bows that were designed for B50 Dacron ruined by a FF string that was put on through ignorance or mistake. On the other hand I have also seen old bows shoot reliably with a FF string. Lots of variables...

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i was thinking of doing the same thing and will try it if i ever start making my bow.it may not be the best material for a bowstring but it ain't bad.for the tillering process i think it should work well.it would also be something to keep in mind for making an emergency string,in case of a string break on a backpacking hammock hunting trip or making a self bow or stick bow from scratch in a survival situation.
    can hear it now."yea this is my amsteel hammock suspension that has a dual use as my bowstring. shaved ??? gramms of my set up....."
    hangin strung
    bill

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    I'm not a bow hunter but wouldn't a bow string that isn't exactly the same on both ends shoot a little weird? I'm thinking a single line with a fixed eye on one end and a double line on the adjustable end would not be desirable.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    LARGE!
    Insulation
    DIY Bag UQ
    Suspension
    Nacras an Whoopies
    "Traditional" Bowstring, plaited loop in one end, bowyer's knot on the other to allow for adjustment as discussed.

I personally think a braided string would be a bad thing, but the best test would be to grab a junk bow and just try it!

Pics of the outcome please!
    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by franksb255 View Post
    TiredFeet, are you talking about the changing in forces making the constriction of the whoopie slip and make it loosen, or just breaking the cord all together? Because I'm very sure that Amsteel is quiet strong enough to take the forces of a bow.
    The changing forces causing the splices to work loose. This can be worked out by stitching the bury (even with a locked brummel before the bury). From what I have bee able to understand in sailing where a lot of these splices are used, the biggest problem is the constant loading/unloading of the splice. It would seem this would be the same problem with use in a bow.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Not a great idea, IMO. For one thing I suspect it would be way too thick - especially if you are using commercially available plastic nocks. Even if you are cutting your own self nocks, I'd think you would need thicker shafting to account for the wider nock you'd have to cut.

Additionally, once your bowstring is adjusted and has finished stretching, why would you want to repeatedly adjust the brace height? For consistent, stable arrow flight and accurate archery, you would be better off setting your brace height and leaving it in the same place every time. Folks have been adjusting brace height by twisting / untwisting bow strings since ... well, ever since there have been bow strings.

If you can find a good diameter amsteel, you might be able to make a good bowstring from it, but I wouldn't think whoopie would be the way to go.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    Superfly- Edge
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Good discussion folks.. It's cool thinking outside the box.. Besides, most the time I just like talking archery... I use a timber hitch on my self bows.
    I really don't like twisting a string more than I really have to.. Plus the hitch is great during the tillering as well... btw... The hitch is on the lower limb...Loop on top..