Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hudsonville MI
    Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    http://www.altrec.com/mammut/moses-carabiner

    I used Black Diamonds exclusively and own a dozen of them. Now, I uses Mammut Moses only. MUCH lighter. Pair of black Diamonds = 2.7-3.9 oz (varies by model). Mammut Moses pair 1.0 ounce. I weighed them myself
    You might want to check your scale, according to the specs posted the mammut moses is 27 grams (.95 ounce) each. The Metoulis Mini's are slightly lighter at 23 grams (.81 ounce) each. Here's a link http://www.rei.com/product/792721?pr...:referralID=NA, $7.50 is a good price. REI has a 20% off coupon coming in Oct for REI members.

    Another 23gram option- http://www.rei.com/product/798364

  2. #12
    Senior Member coolkayaker1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Fox Valley, Illinois
    Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo
    Posts
    401

    Oops!

    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    You might want to check your scale, according to the specs posted the mammut moses is 27 grams (.95 ounce) each. The Metoulis Mini's are slightly lighter at 23 grams (.81 ounce) each. Here's a link http://www.rei.com/product/792721?pr...:referralID=NA, $7.50 is a good price. REI has a 20% off coupon coming in Oct for REI members.

    Another 23gram option- http://www.rei.com/product/798364

    You are right--I miswrote. They are about one ounce each (not the pair--thanks jeep), or two ouunces total.

    So, they are 33% lighter than BD, and although someone may say, "ah, gram weenies", they'd be wrong. These Moses's are noticeablly lighter, even to the hand. I love 'em, even for hanging things off my jeans belt.

    Anyone thinking of them can read the user review from altrec that I linked above. And they do publish poor reviews too, so not scewed.

  3. #13
    Jsaults's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St.Albans WV
    Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc
    Posts
    1,509

    I had been using these Omega-Pacific 'biners

    http://www.rei.com/product/662847

    but at 65 grams each they were hurting my back. Now that I have switched to Camp Nanos at 23 g each I feel much lighter!

    Jim

  4. #14
    optimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Posts
    1,416
    I have 3 of the above mentioned sets of biners. My cheapo scale only weighs in 1/10 oz increments, but here goes. The Mad Rocks go 2.1oz per pair. The Mammut Moses go 1.8oz per pair. The Nanos go 1.7oz per pair. I agree, The Mammuts are sweet. Since the Mammuts are silver & my Camps are gold, I use one at each end so I know what end to stick my head in
    It's only an addiction if your trying to quit

  5. #15
    Senior Member Mountainfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Hexalite
    Insulation
    InsuLite Foam
    Suspension
    TreeStrap/Whoopie
    Posts
    257

    Camp

    Everyone that makes a climbing rated carabiner will work great for hammocking which includes Black Diamond. CAMP makes a really light carabiner that I have used before with great success.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In a hammock. Duh!
    Posts
    60
    I'm probly gonna buy two of these, which are an ounce a piece (i.e. - 28 grams a piece)...
    - Astro Wire Gate Carabiner

    But these bad boys are supposedly 8 grams a piece!!!
    - Edelrid Micro 3

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hudsonville MI
    Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    But these bad boys are supposedly 8 grams a piece!!!
    - Edelrid Micro 3
    But only rated for 800 some pounds (400KG) and no US source.

  8. #18
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,252
    Images
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    But only rated for 800 some pounds (400KG) and no US source.
    I bought eldrid 3 biners and they bent open for me and I weigh less than 200. They are not for supporting a persons weight. Good for ridgeline though.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vandalia, OH
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Posts
    606
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    http://www.altrec.com/mammut/moses-carabiner

    I used Black Diamonds exclusively and own a dozen of them. Now, I uses Mammut Moses only. MUCH lighter. Pair of black Diamonds = 2.7-3.9 oz (varies by model). Mammut Moses pair 1.0 ounce. I weighed them myself

    The difference in weight is noticable wven whne you pick them up. But still climbing rates. $9 each as opposed to $7 for BD. Worth every single penny. Skip a latte for a day or two for the differnce. It's fantastic--see the reviews here. I own Moses's already, and just ordered 6 more. Why? I'll be wicked depressed if they stop making them--stock up now.
    Thanks for the personal thoughts on them.
    (WM)===:::

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hudsonville MI
    Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I bought eldrid 3 biners and they bent open for me and I weigh less than 200. They are not for supporting a persons weight. Good for ridgeline though.
    That's good to know, I'll stop trying to find them. I use plastic black diamond biners on my ridgeline at 6 grams each. Which is the same weight my amsteel soft shackles weigh.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •