Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member Banana Hammock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Posts
    68

    Gathered end vs spreader vs (what's this called?)

    Hey, all. Banana Hammock here with a few newbie questions. I've searched and searched this amazing site, but came up empty. What is this style of the "gathering" at the ends of this hammock called, and anybody know how to do it?



    What are the advantages / disadvantages of this style, versus the "gathered end" style, or the spreader bar style, or the bridge style?

    Out of all the ways to gather the ends of your ripstop, which is the strongest, most reliable method?

    Has anyone converted a tent to a hanging home? I want to just lash some rope to the ends of the floor, and somehow lash the roof to a ridgeline and be done with it.

  2. #2
    WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    3,689
    Images
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
    Hey, all. Banana Hammock here with a few newbie questions. I've searched and searched this amazing site, but came up empty. What is this style of the "gathering" at the ends of this hammock called, and anybody know how to do it?



    What are the advantages / disadvantages of this style, versus the "gathered end" style, or the spreader bar style, or the bridge style?
    I make hammocks that are sort of like this. I call them "Adjustable Hammocks." That's because each of the end strings can be adjusted, and the hammock fine-tuned to make a better diagonal sleeping position. I doubt that the one in the picture is adjustable, though.

  3. #3
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227
    Except for WV's adjustable version, these hammocks hang much the same as a gathered end but use less material. The strings at the end take the place of some of the material. What you picture is essentially a modern material version of a Brazilian style hammock.

    The downside of these is that it's easy to tangle the lines.

    As for the strongest method of gathering the ends of a hammock, IMHO the Warbonnet style gather is the strongest of the commonly used methods. Check my post on making a gathered end hammock for details. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  4. #4
    Member Banana Hammock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Except for WV's adjustable version, these hammocks hang much the same as a gathered end but use less material. The strings at the end take the place of some of the material. What you picture is essentially a modern material version of a Brazilian style hammock.

    The downside of these is that it's easy to tangle the lines.

    As for the strongest method of gathering the ends of a hammock, IMHO the Warbonnet style gather is the strongest of the commonly used methods. Check my post on making a gathered end hammock for details. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205
    Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about how easily tangled this design would be, then I watched a youtube video where the guy wrestled with the tangled ends for a while. I went ahead and fabricated my DIY Hammock according to your gathered end tutorial. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Knotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Denville, NJ, USA
    Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    4,448
    Images
    227
    Glad to help. Have you posted any pics of your gathered end hammock?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

  6. #6
    Member AduroNox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stevenson Ranch, CA
    Hammock
    Amazonas Barbados.
    Tarp
    5$ stock tarp
    Insulation
    Wool poncho & bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Posts
    64
    Brazillian hammocks, my personal preference (less fabric=packs smaller), are great if you know how to pack/unpack them. I don't normally have many tangles, but if what little bulk an extra foot and a half of fabric off each end will cost you isn't an issue, go with gathered-end.
    Set fire to the night, for light is only made bright by darkness.

  7. #7
    Member Banana Hammock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Glad to help. Have you posted any pics of your gathered end hammock?
    Not yet. I'm still working on it, but since I've found out about the nacrabiners just now, I'm almost done with it.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •