Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Senior Member Iafte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Williamstown, NJ
    Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Posts
    1,175
    Images
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    glad you stayed warm. I'm a fan of warm, I am.

    What would you add, to take you down to, say, 10 degrees F ?

    Grizz
    A bottle of Rum?

    I need to start working on a cold weather setup, I want to hit the woods when it's snowing. This, of course, would be a solo trip and the boys would be left at home.

    I asked the wife for down for x-mas. Here's hoping santa delivers.

  2. #12
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    Yes, as much fun as I've had making things from synthetic insulation. I would say that to get to 10F easily and not have to manage a ton of extra bulk, you'd want to get an overstuffed down quilt or two.

    Otherwise, you'd layer a bunch of synthetic insulation(s) and then manage the bulk to temp ratings issues. Depends on how much you hike, and what your pack weight goals are, I suppose...

    I'm about to start making an overstuffed down multi-quilt in these same colors, woodland camo and black. Now that enough people have made down quilts before me, I feel fairly comfortable following their posted directions and making my own. (What a great site!) Right now I'm saving my money to buy the down, which is way too expensive, but I think is ultimately the way to go...


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

  3. #13
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    A bottle of Rum?

    I need to start working on a cold weather setup, I want to hit the woods when it's snowing. This, of course, would be a solo trip and the boys would be left at home.

    I asked the wife for down for x-mas. Here's hoping santa delivers.
    yeah, I'm from northern Minnesota by birth and breeding. It rarely gets down to interestingly cold temps here in Illinois. By experiment I know how to get to 25 degrees now. Looks like I'll have to wait a while before the chance comes along to try 15 degrees.

    Grizz the former eskimo

  4. #14
    i got down to 17* the other night with my climashield torso length uq. it was 10oz/yd of xp.

  5. #15
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    So, what does that work out to for total weight of the quilt counting shell? How many sq yards did you need? But it just covers your torso, so I guess I'd have to double it for full length. What, do use a pad for your legs?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-26-2007 at 19:35.

  6. #16
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i got down to 17* the other night with my climashield torso length uq. it was 10oz/yd of xp.
    That's great! How would you feel at 10F? Would you make it comfortably to 10 with a torso or regular length Climashield UQ?

    Because one thing I forgot to mention is that I'm a bit of a cold sleeper.


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, what does that work out to for total weight of the quilt counting shell? How many sq yards did you need? But it just covers your torso, so I guess I'd have to double it for full length. What, do use a pad for your legs?

    it weighs right at 16 oz. this includes a removeable pair of draft tubes that go at the ends. they weigh about 3/4 oz for the pair. the suspension was not on it when i weighed it just now. it's basically adds about 20g worth of shock cord, and a cord lock, maybe 2.

    i'm 5'10" and it covers from the top of my neck to about 5" past my crotch. it's about 39" wide at the shoulders, and tapers toward the ends. took 2.5 yds of fabric, and 4.5-5 yds for the 4 layers of 2.5 xp insulation.

    i have a 60"x1/8" thick ccf (narrow too). i double it and put it under my legs. i also put my jacket under my knees to elevate them, which no doubt insulates them more as well. the pad is narrow and thin and rolls up pretty small, and weighs only 3.5 oz. i have a sit pad around camp, and some ccf if i have to go to ground. i can unfold it all the way when i reach the limits of the quilt.

    the quilt only has one permanently attached layer. the rest can be added/removed (quilt loops) based on season/temps. as a single layer summer uq, it only weighs 6-7 oz.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 11-26-2007 at 20:22.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    That's great! How would you feel at 10F? Would you make it comfortably to 10 with a torso or regular length Climashield UQ?

    Because one thing I forgot to mention is that I'm a bit of a cold sleeper.
    i consider myself a cols sleeper as well. it was below 20* all night long, i woke up a few times an was warm, when i woke up at 7:00, by back was barely cool, and i could have gone right back to sleep. i plan on doing some more testing, so i'll let you know about lower temps, i do feel like i could possibly go a few more degrees before i was uncomfortably cold though.

    i also have just made a sil shell for it, i would like to see how much warmth this adds, i also came across some material called a heat sheet, it is reflective like a space blanket, but soft and quiet, it is thin, and it is laminated to about a 1/32" of ocf. since i can access the inside to add/remove layers, i could also add this or other reflective material. it is a vapor barrier so i might only be able to use it in conjunction with the sil shell, otherwise the insul might get wet.

  9. #19
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i consider myself a cols sleeper as well. it was below 20* all night long, i woke up a few times an was warm, when i woke up at 7:00, by back was barely cool, and i could have gone right back to sleep. i plan on doing some more testing, so i'll let you know about lower temps, i do feel like i could possibly go a few more degrees before i was uncomfortably cold though.

    i also have just made a sil shell for it, i would like to see how much warmth this adds, i also came across some material called a heat sheet, it is reflective like a space blanket, but soft and quiet, it is thin, and it is laminated to about a 1/32" of ocf. since i can access the inside to add/remove layers, i could also add this or other reflective material. it is a vapor barrier so i might only be able to use it in conjunction with the sil shell, otherwise the insul might get wet.
    yo WBG-
    you might have a look at the insul-bright stuff and let us know how that works. I think it would suit your design of slipping layers in and out of a shell pretty well. I'd be interested in what you have to say about it, anyway.

    I'm going to try pairing a layer of it with a layer of the insulation that Wiggy uses (I got a Wiggy poncho liner which will be dissected in the interests of hammock science).

    Grizz the mad scientist

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    yo WBG-
    you might have a look at the insul-bright stuff and let us know how that works. I think it would suit your design of slipping layers in and out of a shell pretty well. I'd be interested in what you have to say about it, anyway.

    I'm going to try pairing a layer of it with a layer of the insulation that Wiggy uses (I got a Wiggy poncho liner which will be dissected in the interests of hammock science).

    Grizz the mad scientist
    did you just buy it from him? i think i remember reading somewhere, that he would even sell you some laminated to some ripstop like he uses. it might be an option unless you've already got it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •