No-See-Um No More Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    $5 blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Sipsey Wilderness/ Bankhead NF - North Alabama

Any of you Hammockers that are familiar w/ the area, what are some of your favorite POI's or places to hang?

I've seen the big tree, ship rock, and eye of the needle area.

Suggestions?
    ----
    “Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit” -Edward Abbey

http://www.camptalk.net
    http://www.thelegacyranch.com
    http://www.johnbiddle.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    There's too many great places to pick just one.

All along the north end of Hagood Creek, Clifty Creek, Caney Creek Canyon, the scenic canyons around Mitchell ridge, Sougahoagdee Falls, Quillen Canyon, Riddle Falls, The 'Big Bluffs' area, West Bee Branch, etc, etc.

Get out there and explore it all. You'll be busy for years.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I've heard of this place. I've been told that it compares to Linville Gorge in terms of ruggedness. Been wanting to try it, but haven't made it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I've heard of this place. I've been told that it compares to Linville Gorge in terms of ruggedness. Been wanting to try it, but haven't made it.
    I bet there is a lot more elevation change within L. Gorge. But there are some pretty impressive cliffs in Sipsey, sheer(SP?) and even overhanging. But the main thing is, of course, both the many impressive water falls and the "cliff dwelings" or "rooms" that go along with them. What I mean by that is areas under the overhanging cliffs that a large family could live in. In fact, I think some have in times past, both native Americans and settlers. It is a pretty unique place.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    My 11 day hang last year centered around back to back trips to Linville Gorge and the Sipsey. I actually finished drinking Gorge water while hiking in the Sipsey!

That was a wonderful trip!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    My 11 day hang last year centered around back to back trips to Linville Gorge and the Sipsey. I actually finished drinking Gorge water while hiking in the Sipsey!

That was a wonderful trip!

- MacEntyre
    That was the Halloween trip, right? I bet you remember how we crossed East Bee Branch/Sipsey junction, about ankle deep, as it started to rain. By the next morning, that creek must have been close to chest or maybe neck deep. I found that quite impressive. I still remember Thomas (Ihanginbankhead?) crossing that log many feet above the creek the next morning. (I have the person/name right, don't I? has that name been changed to Bankheadboy)

I was fortunate to have a nice water fall coming off of my tarp. Which enabled filling all the water bottles you could wish, mine and BigBamaguy's. I was happy about that, as it negated any need to go back down to that rising creek, with it's very slippery banks, in the dark and pouring rain.

That was a great trip!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Billy that was a great trip...............I have to thank you again for the water fill. I could not get my water filled and then I could not get my tarp to stop leaking. I had a great time but I will admit that was a learning curve I don't want to do again!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    The one my son gave me.
    Tarp
    Old tent rainfly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag & CCF
    Suspension
    DYI
    My first real hanging was in the Sipsey area. I can't help you with suggestions as I was also hiking in the big tree, eye of the needle area. The troop I hiked with is probably going back next year.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    Billy that was a great trip...............I have to thank you again for the water fill. I could not get my water filled and then I could not get my tarp to stop leaking. I had a great time but I will admit that was a learning curve I don't want to do again!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yep, that was lucky for both of us to have that nice "tarp faucet", cause I didn't want to go down to that creek in the rain. When I got there I was all out of water also, I should have filled up before I left the creek. When the rain was really coming down, I could have filled all of the water bottles in camp! Made think of that doo-hickey that HH sells, which connects to the tarp to gather water. I wonder if they have sold any of those?

jbiddle, have you been to Fall Creek Falls at the junction of Fall creek and Sipsey river? Pretty spectacular when it has been raining hard.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    This is a place I'd never heard of until last spring. Sounds wonderful, and not too far (relatively speaking) The info above is very helpful in planning a trip sometime in the future.

leigh
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast