Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Being that I don't move at all in my sleep . . .

. . . confirmed by my other half (she thinks it is weird)

I don't like the feet higher and I don't like slipping down either . . . so . . .

I have seriously considered DIY velcro underwear . . .
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Images
    Same here, Don't like my feet higher than my head. First time in my Eno Dn I was trying to scoot back up in the hammock all night. Last hang did not have that problem but did not really notice how I hung it.

Got some great info on trying a ridgeline. I will try that this weekend and see if I can get it to the proper hang.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post

I don't like the feet higher and I don't like slipping down either . . . so . . .

That is funny!!

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Sounds like you need to give a bridge hammock a test run. Great for side sleepers. I have tried lying on my stomach and was relatively comfortable but I am not a stomach sleeper so I have not slept that way. Side and back in a bridge is easy and no searching for a sweet spot. Personally I like sleeping in both the bridge and gathered end. There are trade offs in both. In the bridge I find the fetal position to be impossible. (for me) In the gathered end fetal is easy. Sleeping with legs crossed is another benefit of the gathered end. Much more comfortable than it sounds.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I have tried sleeping with the feet higher and I just don't care for it. It feels good to me when it's about like my Fatboy recliner, head a little higher, butt a little lower.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    What I've found that works in my Clark is to have the foot end just a little bit higher than the head end. Now to do that I can either tie the tree straps on one side higher or I can adjust the whoopies so the hammock is off center with the foot end closer to the tree or if the ground is on a slope, the foot end is tied to the higher tree. I've found that with the foot end only a little bit higher, that it seems to feel flat when I'm inside the hammock. If I've not got it right, I can tell it after a few minutes of laying in the hammock.

Something to try... after you set up your hammock, lay in it a while. Do a bit of tossing and turning to simulate if you had slept over night in it. Then try getting back up. When you swing your feet out, are they over your shoes?? Or are the shoes shifted to one side? If they are not under you, then you've slid down inside the hammock. That will show you which end of your hammock you've gotten to high.

When I've set up my hammock just right (with the foot end just a little bit higher), when I get up the next morning, my feet are pretty much right over my shoes.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    I recently bought the JRB bridge. I find it lies perfectly flat. Of course as with anything there is a trade off. In this case I find there is a little constriction at the shoulders. But, the flat lay more than makes up for this. Also, I can lie on my side, not in a full fetal position but I can pull my knees up half way. All in all the best sleep I have had in a hammock yet IMHO.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Are feet really higher?

I wonder if adjusting the hammock so the foot end is a bit higher actually results in you feet being higher? Or if foot end high just shifts one's body toward the head end (that COG thing Beep mentioned).

Discuss.

Jim

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow Symmetrical
    Tarp
    DD XL with doors
    Insulation
    SMR inferno UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Being that I don't move at all in my sleep . . .

. . . confirmed by my other half (she thinks it is weird)

That is hilarious

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Any other thoughts?

These are really great posts, thanks to everyone. Trying various positions, looking at shoes on ground, considering a bridge hammock, etc. are very practical and good.

Regarding the center of gravity thing, I tried a 6 hour slumber in my ENO SN in Vario hammock stand that keeps both ends at exactly same height by definition, and boosted myself way up toward the head end. Well, by the time I woke up, I was slithered into the center of the thing like a snake in the armpit of a tree.

So, as JSaults asks, if one puts the head of the hammock up, won’t I just wind up further toward the feet when I squirm at night (that is, unless I DIY the Velcro tighty whities). Pillow and other ideas a PGibson, and TLouise and other suggest are worthwhile. I don’t know the physics of the thing, but it sure is hard to get the heavy head and trunk to stay above the lightweight feet and legs in my ENOs, HH and WBBB.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast