Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westfield,NJ
    Posts
    112

    Has anyone used the Extreme Cold Army Bag

    Has anyone every tested an Army issue "Extreme Cold sleeping bag" in a hammock. Only reason I am asking is that they are rated for -10 to -30 and the insulation (down/synthetic) is sewn into the heavy duty canvas fabric in such a way that doesnt seem to be affected as much as typical bags by compression. This bag is around 11 lbs and very bulky so it would only be used in car camping or canoe camping trips, and maybe in ?kayak bulkhead?

  2. #2
    Senior Member FanaticFringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Ga
    Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Posts
    2,424
    Images
    34
    I have one of those bags. I got it for free. Have never used it.
    If used as a top bag in a hammock without any other insulation, I believe you would be super warm on top and still feel the cold underneath. Probably too warm on top. Might be o.k at above 40* or so. Give her a test.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 11-11-2007 at 16:49.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

  3. #3
    Senior Member rigidpsycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Posts
    1,139
    Images
    57
    I remember when I was in the army being out in the field in low 30* temps and sleeping straight on the ground in one of the pup tent(shelter halves put together) I actually broke a sweat.
    Chris

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    634
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jscalia View Post
    Has anyone every tested an Army issue "Extreme Cold sleeping bag" in a hammock. Only reason I am asking is that they are rated for -10 to -30 and the insulation (down/synthetic) is sewn into the heavy duty canvas fabric in such a way that doesnt seem to be affected as much as typical bags by compression. This bag is around 11 lbs and very bulky so it would only be used in car camping or canoe camping trips, and maybe in ?kayak bulkhead?
    11lbs! Canvas? Is it really current official Army issue? Or is it something from the 50's?

    Are our current troops being issued such ancient gear?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westfield,NJ
    Posts
    112

    Army gear is not always the lightest

    That is why their packs can be upwards of 100lbs. Of course, most of the troops are not carrying extreme cold bags unless operating in those temperatures.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    634
    Images
    21
    wow...i guess they still issue those 30 pound folding latrene shovels instead of the 4 oz "ipood" plastic one:

    http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/60

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,557
    That bag is/was 70's-early 80's circa for infantry, tankers, arty and REMF's had them much later. The current bag is the ECWS three part bag/system.

  8. #8
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,252
    Images
    196
    They are called " fartsack" and I am blessed with having one. I think they come from the Korean War. It fills my gear closet. It says down/synthetic, but I bet it isn't much down at all. More like chicken feathers with some peices of chicken still attatched. There is instructions on how to exit in an emergency. I like to loan it out to my friends how refuse to buy gear but like to go hiking. There is always a ton of them on ebay.

    I used it in the hammock once in my backyard, and it did ok. It is really warm on the top, but you still need a pad. I once used it as a pad and then used a quilt on top.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    634
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    They are called " fartsack" and I am blessed with having one. I think they come from the Korean War. It fills my gear closet. It says down/synthetic, but I bet it isn't much down at all. More like chicken feathers with some peices of chicken still attatched. There is instructions on how to exit in an emergency. I like to loan it out to my friends how refuse to buy gear but like to go hiking. There is always a ton of them on ebay.
    lol...i'm gonna need oxygen if i can't stop laughing soon

  10. #10
    New Member buckowens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Huntington, WV
    Posts
    11

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    11lbs! Canvas? Is it really current official Army issue? Or is it something from the 50's?

    Are our current troops being issued such ancient gear?
    Take a Knee is right, the new system is much better. I have not been issued the latest yet, but the three part I have is pretty nice. I am Aviation, and when it goes with me it is normally in a duffle on a truck or airplane. I am not sure of the weights, but it is much more user friendly than the old days.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •