Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

Injector skipping stitches

At random intervals my machine will "skip" stitching 4-6 stitches. Keeps running with no apparent issues, but when I go back and look at the line I just ran, there are places where there is one long stitch over several holes where the needle went in, but no stitch remains.

What's up?

Sorry, no way to do pics right now.

Same machine randomly balls up the thread on the underside, breaks the top thread, and runs just fine. I've been fighting it through many pieces of gear, but I'm about done. Even my wife said I should get another one, and she doesn't even use it.

Jbo

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had a similar problem. I changed out the needle and that fixed the issue. The dull needle was not punching thru the thicker layers of fabric. Worth a try. Good luck and I am sure more knowledgeable people will chime in shortly.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Insulation
    warm stuff
    Mine was doing the same thing...changed needle--didn't fix.....adjusted tension--didn't fix....took apart and cleaned and oiled--didn't fix.....adjusted timing--didn't fix.....got new machine---fixed. Good luck.
    I have been sewing for MANY years and usually I don't have that issue with a machine unless it is time to get a new one, but I am no expert on machines....I would say if you can find a repair shop and ask them.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    First thing to do is to put in a new needle and do a good surface cleaning of the bobbin area and throat plate. Check the tension on the top thread. Make sure the bobbin spins smoothly in the bobbin case. Don't mess with the bobbin tension at this point. Rule out the simple causes first.

Do a good surface cleaning of the top tension track and then give it a try. Any of those problems are likely to be the cause. If that does not solve the problem then you likely have a problem with the timing machinery. Most likely a build up of corrosion or rust on the hook. It does not take much. I doubt that it is the timing itself because most likely no stitches would be formed if that were the case.

Change the needle
    Check the thread pathways.
    Make sure the bobbin spin properly
    Check for corrosion on the visible parts.

If you find corrosion your best bet is to have it professionally serviced since corrosion on the hook means corrosion inside as well. Trying to buff corrosion off some of those parts is something you most likely can not do at home unless you have extremely fine buffing compounds and the knowledge of how to do it without messing up the tolerances of the machine.

It might be time for a mechanic or a replacement depending on what the machine is to start with. If it is otherwise a solid machine then it might be worth fixing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Insulation
    warm stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    It might be time for a mechanic or a replacement depending on what the machine is to start with. If it is otherwise a solid machine then it might be worth fixing.
    lol.... worth fixing is the key phrase.... I spent a ton of time trying with a machine that was crappy at best 10 years ago when my mom bought it....so after 10 years of horrid machine I took my own advice. (it was a White Sewing Millenium Edition SM2000)

"you can polish a turd all day long, but at the end of the day you still have a turd....a shiny turd, but a turd non the less" I gave up.

The new machine I lucked out and ended up getting for FREE from an old woman who couldn't learn how to work it. (brother cs-6000i---awesome machine/ works great)
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. Jennifer Unlimited
    Health food may be good for the conscience, but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better. -- Robert Redford

http://daydreamingmisadventurer.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Done the needle change and clean thing. No corrosion. The machine was less than a trip to the mechanic would cost. Guess it didn't do bad for a cheap machine. It made me 6 hammocks, two underquilts, and a top quilt.

Looks like maybe its time to start looking for a new one. - and bumming one until I find what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

Jbo

• + New Posts