Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: Tree Straps

  1. #21
    If you have an REI or somewhere that sells mountain climbing gear, they should have some one inch tubular webbing for around .40 cents a foot.

    Some places that have tree climbing gear will have it as well. Some of the lawn mower/tractor stores cater to tree climbers.

    They might have some at tractor supply, or anywhere that sells horse tack.

    Some army surplus stores carry it.

    Possibly west marine or similar.

  2. #22
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    I bought the harbor freight straps, 2 for 3.99. Just took my electric grinder with a cut off wheel on it and cut the ratchet through. A pair of pliers and twisted. I had some 3/8" aluminuim tubing, cut it down to two 4" pieces for use as toggles. Drilled holes in the side toward one end, cut a small slit in the end of the webbing, tied them together with some mason line. Now I don't have to worry about losing the toggles.

  3. #23
    Senior Member JohnSawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    4,696
    Images
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
    If you have an REI or somewhere that sells mountain climbing gear, they should have some one inch tubular webbing for around .40 cents a foot.

    Some places that have tree climbing gear will have it as well. Some of the lawn mower/tractor stores cater to tree climbers.

    They might have some at tractor supply, or anywhere that sells horse tack.

    Some army surplus stores carry it.

    Possibly west marine or similar.
    Tubular webbing has some stretch to it, as I recall. It's designed to take a shock load. Polyester straps won't stretch...

    HF has 2- 12' x 1" straps for $4... I've used these...

    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda


  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    123

    ikea

    I have used these Ikea suitcase straps with good luck a couple times now. They are 1" wide 100% polyester, rated to 882lbs. I used toggles and the spike hitch with no noticeable damage to the straps. They are 11.48' long, so one could get a 2x ~5' for $3.99.

    They seem light, but I have no way to measure them.

    I found them when I had to go in that store with the gf and walked by the display. Hmmm, tree straps?
    So far, so do.

    Have a good'un

    cutter

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/25989100
    Last edited by Cutter; 10-16-2010 at 00:16. Reason: add link; real sewing math

  5. #25
    Debi Jaytee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON
    Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Posts
    917
    Images
    2
    I just ordered a set of straps and Dutch clips from JacksRbetter
    Debi

  6. #26
    Senior Member Corncob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/3SPhoenix
    Suspension
    DG whoopies + MSH
    Posts
    403
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I have used these Ikea suitcase straps with good luck a couple times now. They are 1" wide 100% polyester, rated to 882lbs. I used toggles and the spike hitch with no noticeable damage to the straps. They are 11.48' long, so one could get a 2x ~5' for $3.99.

    They seem light, but I have no way to measure them.

    I found them when I had to go in that store with the gf and walked by the display. Hmmm, tree straps?
    So far, so do.

    Have a good'un

    cutter

    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/25989100
    I know I'm reviving an old thread, but I picked some of these up from Ikea on Friday so my roommate could use my first DIY hammock while I used my WBBB this weekend. They stretched a considerable amount, enough that I worried about him ending up on the ground in the middle of the night. Luckily I had an extra pair of whoopies/toggles in the rope bag in the car and we were able to minimize the tree strap portion to just around the tree to minimize stretch.

    They do say 100% polyester on the website, but the weave looks much looser than the pair of tree straps I have from Warbonnet. Perhaps the loose weave causes the stretch?

    Anyone else have experience with these?

  7. #27
    jons4real's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berks county Pa
    Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Posts
    1,374
    Most towing straps I've found will work. Its having a machine to stitch up loops is where I fall short.
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

    http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

  8. #28
    SmokeBait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Defiance, Missouri
    Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Posts
    1,505
    Quote Originally Posted by jons4real View Post
    Most towing straps I've found will work. Its having a machine to stitch up loops is where I fall short.
    You can always tie a water knot in the end to make a loop if no sewing machine is available. Here is a pretty good video showing how to.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You could get ratchet straps at your local hardware store. Cut off the heavy hooks and ratchets and you have serviceable webbing. Go for polyester or polypropelene. Avoid nylon if possible as it stretches. If you know anyone that intstalls fiber optic cable you can score some mule tape. Its polyester and bound for the garbage anyways.

    I've bought mine from AHE and from Whoopieslings.com.
    What about bullline?

  10. #30
    jons4real's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berks county Pa
    Hammock
    Crinkle Custom
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    brrr
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Straps
    Posts
    1,374
    Got mine from dutch
    "What one Man can do, another can do!"
    Jons4real

    http://www.youtube.com/user/jons4real

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •