WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Skeeter Beeter Sleeping Bag Under Quilt (SBSBUQ)

I finally got my DIY UQ to the point I am ready to post about it.

It took all of last weekend to get the thread injector (TI) working properly, so what I wanted to finish on Saturday did not even begin until almost dinner time Sunday.

I started with a 2nd hand sleeping bag. No label but probably a 40° to 50° bag. I had a selection of several bags, but chose this mainly one mainly because of the color. On Saturday night, I used Gorilla tape and 550 cord to baste the bag into a usable shape and secure it to the hammock. It was loose and I ended up slightly cool, but it showed me where and how I figured I needed to dart this.

I laid out the SB and measured how I wanted this to be sized and shaped. Never having seen a real UQ in person, I really had to scrutinize photos here and work to figure this out. I used a marker to draw my outline and just stitched along the lines. I then cut out about 1/4" - 3/8" outside the stitch. I could have done a real bump up job on this, but opted for the quick stitch and cut, which worked (were I to do this again, I would certainly take more time to make more attractive better seams).

Once I had the basic shape, I planned my darts. Again, I went with the quick stitch and cut. I made 2 triangles in the middle (one on each side), pinned the fabric along the lines, and then just stitched it together. I then cut off the excess material. This also made a “point” along the center of each side, so I marked, stitched, and cut this to the "correct" shape.

I bought some 2" polypro webbing at JoAnns, and stitched it along the seams as a channel to accept some shock cord (which was left over from the SB Pro netting, with which I am using a different system). This turned out fairly well, both hiding the ugly cut seams and reinforcing the edges. It also was easy to fish the shock cord through the slot. I ran out of webbing, so as of this post, the ends remain crude looking.

I had some little plastic hooks, so I tied them on to the shock cord. Then, yesterday, I went out and hung the hammock and tried out the SBSBUQ. It hung fairly well, but it obviously need some suspension/connection on the middle of each side. I had guessed that would be necessary, and fortunatly, the SB Pro has 2 attachment loops on each side which should be perfect. with the hammock strung up, I was able to easily ascertain the required location of these attachment points. I will be adding some loops this evening, but I will discuss this more later, as I feel this may need to be adjustable, rather than being anchored to a fixed position.

I would guess this will get me down to 50° to 55°, but I am considering some IX as a supplement, at least for this season until I can get something downy warm.

Not too bad for a first DIY project (other than suspension).

**Warning: these photos show explicit examples of crude workmanship and may not be appropriate for all diy hammockers!!!**
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    BS:
    It may be crude but it looks like it will work as planned. I give you credit for only being a member a month you are doing some great work. Keep it up and I hope to see you at the possible LA hang if and when it gets scheduled. If you feel up to the drive there is a hang at the end of the month in TN at Meriwether Lewis Park.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    It's my post, so I guess I can take this in a different direction if I want. I would like some input on how to attach the UQ. Please look at the last two pictures. Neither reallyl shows how the UQ is attached, but to sum up, it has shock cord running through channels; the 4 ends each have a little plastic hook which goes directly to my whoopie (which is lark's headded through the gathered end of the hammock).

Specifically, is there a better way to attach the ends?

I am adding hooks on shock cord at the mid point on either side. This will snug up the UQ to the sides. Should I make the attachment points (on the UQ) adjustible, so that it can slid up, down or askew (asymetric)? If so, how might I do this?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL
    Tarp
    Hammockgear Cuben
    Insulation
    UKhammocks UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Webbing
    Images
    You can use a triangle as shown in this thread for suspension:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=underquilt

Tha triangle gives lifts the quilt at the ends and reduces the risk for cold air getting in.
    No longer with a great "Yukon Yak Fever"

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

My pictures:My Picasa-album

My paracord-webshop:Webshop
    Sorry dudes, only in Swedish (so far).

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Cool night, UQ or TQ?

Peter1969, somehow I missed you last post on Thursday. Thank you for that link. I think I understand better now how to "lift" the ends for a tighter fit. That makes sense. I will certainly look into this and consider new options.

I think I can still make the SBSBUQ work for 60°+ if I can ensure it is snugged, and prehaps lower if I can figure how to add another insulating layer. Can anyone point me to some more pics of either DIY or commercial suspension: how they are snugged up/fitted and how they are suspended.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    if you need an adjustable connection, maybe one of those black 'office clips' with a shock cord loop would serve?KM (who most times is pretty good at improvising solutions..)

• + New Posts