View Poll Results: Quick Survey of Seriously Interested Participants (Multiple choice, public voting)

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canadian within 3 hours of Toronto

    10 24.39%
  • Canadian within 3-5 hours of Toronto

    6 14.63%
  • Canadian over 5 hours of Toronto

    1 2.44%
  • American within 3 hours of Toronto

    5 12.20%
  • American within 3-5 hours of Toronto

    7 17.07%
  • American over 5 hours of Toronto

    8 19.51%
  • Preference for winter car camping

    7 17.07%
  • Preference for 1-2 hour winter hike into site

    11 26.83%
  • Preference for 2+ hour winter hike into site

    6 14.63%
  • No preference

    9 21.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 97
  1. #21
    Senior Member Rug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chatham, ON. Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    700
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by snipe View Post
    Hi Guys,

    I'm interested, but not sure if I'll be able to put a winter rig together and test it in time to be confident. I barely have a workable summer rig. I'm thinking about making an UQ, and using a couple good bags as a TQ.

    I'll keep my eye on the thread. We'll see...

    Snipe
    Try to keep in mind where we might be camping. If you can park within 1km of the hang-site, then it isn't too hard to make 4 trips and bring a ton of gear. A couple of quilts from the spare-bed make for a wonderful poor-mans UQ. (learn how to tie a sheet-bend knot).

    You can 'car-camp' and still be more then 20feet from your car.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

    Rug.

    Hang On!

  2. #22
    New Member snipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Hammock
    Hammock Bliss... for now
    Tarp
    MEC Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    MEC Kelvin Pad
    Suspension
    Converting to SLS
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Try to keep in mind where we might be camping. If you can park within 1km of the hang-site, then it isn't too hard to make 4 trips and bring a ton of gear. A couple of quilts from the spare-bed make for a wonderful poor-mans UQ. (learn how to tie a sheet-bend knot).

    You can 'car-camp' and still be more then 20feet from your car.
    I guess that answers my question of:
    "Would we be snowshoeing into the site?"

    As another option, instead of a PP, we could go to some crown land. (Free for all us Canadian Citizens)... no pesky reservations, or costs.... but ya, it wouldn't be a car camping trip. Or if someone wanted to volunteer a section of bush they own...

    just a couple of ideas.

    Snipe

  3. #23
    BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,864
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by snipe View Post
    I guess that answers my question of:
    "Would we be snowshoeing into the site?"

    As another option, instead of a PP, we could go to some crown land. (Free for all us Canadian Citizens)... no pesky reservations, or costs.... but ya, it wouldn't be a car camping trip. Or if someone wanted to volunteer a section of bush they own...

    just a couple of ideas.

    Snipe
    Hey Snipe

    As for snowshoeing into the site, that may be a possibility depending on the location. If you know of any crown land that would be reasonably accessible (ie not too far off the beaten path) and able to support several hangers, then feel free to post the information. So far we haven't got a location nailed down as of yet.

    Cheers

    Brian

  4. #24
    New Member Dale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Listowel, ON
    Hammock
    HH Exped Asym with 2Qmod#2
    Tarp
    HH Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20d
    Suspension
    Custom
    Posts
    47
    Hey, lots of crown land in my area.

  5. #25
    Member wetface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    uq/pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    93
    Is fishing allowed in Algonquin?

  6. #26
    Member wetface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    uq/pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    93
    What about some good ol' fasioned moose hunting?

  7. #27
    Member wetface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    uq/pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    93
    Beg your pardon, I meant ol' fashioned.

  8. #28
    Member wetface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    uq/pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    93
    Silly comments I know, just trying to get my 15 posts so I may use the FOR SALE forum.

  9. #29
    New Member snipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Hammock
    Hammock Bliss... for now
    Tarp
    MEC Guide Tarp
    Insulation
    MEC Kelvin Pad
    Suspension
    Converting to SLS
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Hey Snipe

    As for snowshoeing into the site, that may be a possibility depending on the location. If you know of any crown land that would be reasonably accessible (ie not too far off the beaten path) and able to support several hangers, then feel free to post the information. So far we haven't got a location nailed down as of yet.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Hey Brian,

    Yeah, I know some crown land, that is close to a "road"... it's close to Huntsville, just outside of the boundaries of the park.. but at that time of year, it'll be a snow drift... We'd need four wheel drive, or snowmobiles to get in close to a trail head I suspect...

    After I got thinking about it, it takes a level of experience, equipment and commitment on a whole other level to do a winter hang, in the winter backcountry... it might end up discouraging people... and discouraging is the last thing I would want to instigate... I feel especially guilty bringing this up since, I'M NOT even sure if I CAN come to a winter hang due to a current lack of winter hammock rig.. I kinda wrote it before I really thought about it.

    Everyone/we/I could still do some snowshoeing at a PP, or campground etc, and get the snowshoeing fix, without the safety, logistical, and experience challenges of an actual back country trip...

    But if everyone is truly set on such an adventure, I'm open to talking about it...

    Snipe

  10. #30
    Member wetface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    uq/pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Posts
    93
    Snowshoeing would be fun. If we get enough snow that is.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •