Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member bcaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    204

    Potomac, Lost River or XL Lost River?

    I'm trying to decide which one is best for my needs. Weight is less a concern to me than minimal fiddle factor. Most of my hanging is done on canoe trips, so getting the quilt wet is always a possibility. Synthetic insulation seems like the best way to go.

    The extra width of the Potomac and XL Lost River appeal to me. I'm not sure I need the full length of the Potomac. It seems a bit unnecessary in a quilt designed to go down into the 30's only. From other posts about the Lost River I have to assume the XL Lost River will also work well on a Hennessy Expedition side Zip? Do I need the Insultex upgrade to be comfortably warm a bit below freezing?

    Will I need UQ Triangle Thingies? Better to know now and save shipping
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

  2. #2
    Hogg Tyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Thomasville NC
    Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Posts
    327
    Images
    6
    I like the triangle things they do help the quilt pull up against your hammock. I also really like my XL under quilt. No more waking up cold because my quilt slid to one side or the other.

  3. #3
    Senior Member bigfoot2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Eugene,Oregon
    Hammock
    WB Eldorado EVIL TWIN!
    Tarp
    Argon Sil Camo Hex
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    I'm trying to decide which one is best for my needs. Weight is less a concern to me than minimal fiddle factor. Most of my hanging is done on canoe trips, so getting the quilt wet is always a possibility. Synthetic insulation seems like the best way to go.

    The extra width of the Potomac and XL Lost River appeal to me. I'm not sure I need the full length of the Potomac. It seems a bit unnecessary in a quilt designed to go down into the 30's only. From other posts about the Lost River I have to assume the XL Lost River will also work well on a Hennessy Expedition side Zip? Do I need the Insultex upgrade to be comfortably warm a bit below freezing?

    Will I need UQ Triangle Thingies? Better to know now and save shipping
    I just ordered a Regular LR and had issues with it being too small for my Hennessy and TTTM double. I sent it back for a new XL Lost River but have not heard from Paul in days...very unlike him. He doesn't seem to be answering e-mails or PM's. Anyone know if he's ok?

    BF

  4. #4
    Mr. Arrowhead pgibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    4,554
    For a HH the Potomac is the only quilt of ours that is specifically designed to work in sync. The zip models or zip modded models work better than ever with the Potomac as you set the suspension and you are set, on a bottom entry the shock cord on the quilt suspension lets you pull it to the side climb in and it will pull back into place. Some of the other quilts can be made to work on a HH but are designed for more traditional gathered end hammocks.





    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot2 View Post
    have not heard from Paul in days...very unlike him. He doesn't seem to be answering e-mails or PM's. Anyone know if he's ok?

    BF

    I get to go hiking to squeezed in a little trip over the weekend and just got back. Sorry email and phone stay home when I hike.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.

    Free APEX Upgrade on Every Kick *** Quilt (KAQ)

    Now Offering FlameThower Down Gear And Tenkara Fishing gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com
    Tenkara-Fishing.com
    Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Sign Up for Arrowhead-Equipment Gear News: Click Here

  5. #5
    Senior Member bigfoot2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Eugene,Oregon
    Hammock
    WB Eldorado EVIL TWIN!
    Tarp
    Argon Sil Camo Hex
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Posts
    995
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    For a HH the Potomac is the only quilt of ours that is specifically designed to work in sync. The zip models or zip modded models work better than ever with the Potomac as you set the suspension and you are set, on a bottom entry the shock cord on the quilt suspension lets you pull it to the side climb in and it will pull back into place. Some of the other quilts can be made to work on a HH but are designed for more traditional gathered end hammocks.








    I get to go hiking to squeezed in a little trip over the weekend and just got back. Sorry email and phone stay home when I hike.
    Uhh...no you don't Get back to work!

    BF

  6. #6
    sir_n0thing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Madison, WI area
    Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    1,110
    Images
    40
    Just thought I'd chip in my two cents... I have a Potomac that I use on my HH Expedition side-zip. It fits perfectly with minimal fiddle-factor. I use the Triangle Thingies on my heavier down quilts that tend to sag more.
    All my other UQ's are 2/3 or 3/4 length, but I've come to really appreciate the full length coverage of the Potomac. It's very luxurious!
    The Potomac, specifically in use with a HH Exped zip, is a sweet rig and I give it two thumbs up.

    Side note, I lent my Potomac to Wanderlust62 for use on his HH Safari during the Sylvania trip and he reported it worked great! I was wondering about the fit since the Safari is much larger than the Expedition, but he was evidently snug and warm.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

  7. #7
    Mr. Arrowhead pgibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    4,554
    Glad to here it is still working good for you Sir n0thing. At near 7 feet long the Potomac should function for most any one on most any HH. Glad to here it did good on the Safari.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.

    Free APEX Upgrade on Every Kick *** Quilt (KAQ)

    Now Offering FlameThower Down Gear And Tenkara Fishing gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com
    Tenkara-Fishing.com
    Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Sign Up for Arrowhead-Equipment Gear News: Click Here

  8. #8
    Senior Member bcaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_n0thing View Post
    All my other UQ's are 2/3 or 3/4 length, but I've come to really appreciate the full length coverage of the Potomac. It's very luxurious!
    The Potomac, specifically in use with a HH Exped zip, is a sweet rig and I give it two thumbs up.
    That sounds so good! I ordered a Potomac, should be shipping soon...I hope
    Waiting sure is tough, but the nights are getting colder. Perfect weather for some extensive backyard testing when it arrives.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

  9. #9
    Mr. Arrowhead pgibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    4,554
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    should be shipping soon...I hope
    It will indeed, tomorrow in fact. Just have to put on the suspension to hang it by and in the box it goes.
    Last edited by pgibson; 10-20-2010 at 19:49.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hanging, backpacking and Ultralight Fishing gear needs.

    Free APEX Upgrade on Every Kick *** Quilt (KAQ)

    Now Offering FlameThower Down Gear And Tenkara Fishing gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com
    Tenkara-Fishing.com
    Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Sign Up for Arrowhead-Equipment Gear News: Click Here

  10. #10
    Senior Member bcaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Kitchener, Ontario
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    204
    thanks Paul.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •