Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Weedeater ; frankly i thought that was pretty tame but thanks for posting.
    Odds; i think what you said is an understatement. In the world today society is doing next to nothing compared to the polluting , resource usage, ( trees,fish,animals, plants etc) are all being wiped out at an alarming rate and next to nothing is being done. People like to say "every bit helps" but in fact it doesn't unless its enough, otherwise it ends up being a hindrance because we feel its going alright. We turn on the tap and get water and wake up breathing and feel the worlds great and although i feel its good to feel appreciative for what we have our footprint is way too big and modern consumer middle class society it driving that car right over the cliff and like Thelma and Louise there's no sequel, at least in a way we can relate to. And "leave no trace", well its good to leave things as you find them in the woods but its kind of like preserving a closet in your house while the rest of the house is collapsing. The trouble is we are all too spoiled, materially addicted, whatever, and we don't understand enough that things are going to collapse. I guess this is a bit of a rant, ,,,,,,,,,but not directed at anyone . I was out for a perfect fall paddle today in the mnts in my plastic kayak with my plastic camera, nylon pants, neoprene skirt, nylon dry sacs, ect,,,,,,,,,,it was brilliant ,,,as doc holiday said, well at least in the movie, , " my hypocrisy knows no bounds".
    Well written and well thought out. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    Dear Weed; have you seen this article?

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/09/spider-silk/

incredibly strong, but rare, expensive and very localized resource.

Daniel Boone could get along with a knife, an axe and a blanket, but he had a lot more survival skills than modern urban folk, and his style was most likely not "Leave No Trace" in execution.
    I'll check that link out, but I suppose by very localized you mean far from Virginia, which of course defeat the purpose of what I'm attempting to get at.

This "leave no trace" thing is part of what I'm talking about. I never even heard the term until a couple of years ago, I think on white blaze the first time.

What I'm trying to get at is that we don't "leave no trace", but rather hide it, or don't look at the trace we leave.

Perhaps we're packing out our garbage, or at least some of us, better than a few of decades back. But there is a huge unseen or less obvious trace being left at factories and in landfills. Even in our bodies.

I've always thought it odd to put a bicycle on a car and drive untold miles to enjoy a ride. There is nature outside everyones door. The older I get the more odd this seems to me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    I agree that the tone of the message could be refined, but its some good food for thought. I would really like to see a silk hammock for less than $300.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    In order to support the level of commercial use to eliminate the synthetic fabrics we would be forced to use chemical based agricultural products which was one of the reasons the synthetics were developed in the first place. To provide useful and appropriate replacements of the natural fabrics. Hemp is anything but rot resistant. You can ask anyone who has worked with hemp rope. I used it for many years and each time I had to untwist the rope to check for dry rot on the interior. It rots from the inside. They use hemp in landscape cloth for the precise reason that is does break down fairly rapidly.

Hang your own hammock. But giving us poorly researched information is not helpful.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Not cheap, but I found a contender for a home sleeper. Still looking for a Brazilian version. Lots of backyard spreader bar models out there.

Island Bay XL
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Interesting. During WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War, the US military found that their natural-fiber clothing and camping gear was breaking down too quickly in the wet environs in Asia. A certain bacteria was also eating away the material, further complicating the problem. A new material, nylon, was the solution and made all the difference in these new climates.

Innovation follows a certain pattern: necessity.

Like others have said, I'm all for natural materials -- for example, there is no question that down is superior than anything synthetic. But some of the materials you mentioned need some innovation in order for them to be viable in some climates, or to be worthwhile long-term.

I've had great discussions with my friend who is a graduate student in sustainability. A lot of the natural fibers we get excited about (hemp clothing, bamboo socks, etc.) take so much bleaching, processing, and chemical treatments. Many natural materials _are_ far superior, but the process to get these materials is no more natural and often negates many reasons for "going natural." I just read about genetically altered goats, for example, whose milk comes with the same fibrous material as the silk worm. Ultra strong threads. But at what cost? And, how much can be produced to meet demand?

It is a difficult balance, to be sure. What materials are best for the environment, are durable, super strong, long-lasting, less polluting, more comfortable, etc., etc. A lot of variables.

A lot of places for more innovation.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Weed do you love nature? Do you own any synthetic gear or clothes? The tone of your message seems that you are condemning those of us who do. Your hypothesis seems to be since I do enjoy using lightweight durable fabrics that I can't have a love for nature as if one excludes the other.

If you want to talk about bad stuff creating in manufacturing and what's going in to landfills look at computers. Your very presence online must mean that you hate nature and could care less about the future of this planet.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
    Health effects

A study published in 1993 found that polyester underwear reduced sperm count and sperm motility in male dogs.[6] Similar studies have shown similar results in humans and rats. The cause is not known but is believed to be due to an electrostatic field created by the fabric.[7]
    This, of course, is a disturbing topic that is difficult to discuss, but one question keeps forcing its way back into my mind over and over again...

Was nobody else horrified that they are putting underpants on dogs?
    and:
    boxers or briefs? We all know what the tightie-whities do to a brother.
    Did the dogs volunteer to do this in the name of science?
    Why didn't they just opt for diapers instead?
    What next, and where do we draw the line? Lemmings with neckties and briefcases (actually, in a dark sort of way, that kind of makes sense (think about it)).

Sorry, but this stuff kind of freaks me out.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    This, of course, is a disturbing topic that is difficult to discuss, but one question keeps forcing its way back into my mind over and over again...

Was nobody else horrified that they are putting underpants on dogs?
    and:
    boxers or briefs? We all know what the tightie-whities do to a brother.
    Did the dogs volunteer to do this in the name of science?
    Why didn't they just opt for diapers instead?
    What next, and where do we draw the line? Lemmings with neckties and briefcases (actually, in a dark sort of way, that kind of makes sense (think about it)).

Sorry, but this stuff kind of freaks me out.
    Sorry - in advance...

The dog did, at least, get something out of this. Someone had to make a to be able to tell that a COUNT was lower. That is one job I do not want? You would have dogs following you around all day

...and again, Sorry
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    @ chickenwing-- I... I don't know whether to be ashamed or proud that the thought hadn't occured to me.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast