HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers

Not necessarily hammock talk but...

I traded my BMW for a 4x4 Suburban. I have wanted another Burb since I got rid of my last one. It was a real bugger trying to go to those nice, quiet, remote places devoid of people that makes a hang a great hang in a Bimmer. I have all winter to outfit it for camping/ fishing. One of the first things I plan on building is a slide out canopy utilizing the roof rack. The kicker with the canopy is one leg will be strong enough to support one end of my hammock. The other end of the hammock will be attached to a bracket just inside the rear door. (that is the plan at least for the beach trips.) Now when I go to the woods, I will use the tried and true hammock supports....trees. But the canopy will be handy there as well. The inside of the Burb will be set up to hold a few rods.. and my flyrod of course. Some overhead storage as well as a raised floor that will have storage underneath and allow for an air mattress on top for , well, the unfortunate guest that has no hammock. I will be putting some pics of the progress in the pics section of my profile.
    Do any of you have a rig set up for camping or the like? Care to share any pics? Here's the clean slate I have to work with.

Showin' HF some Love!

And the room I have to work with:

Last edited by Silverlion; 10-17-2010 at 13:15. Reason: added pics.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Images
    i had a raised plywood bed under a camper shell in the back of my toyota tacoma for an extensive roadtrip back in 03'. it was pretty nice, had plenty of storage underneath and i could sleep on top. had to stick my feet through the little square window between the cab and the camper to have enough room to stretch out though. i had the windows blacked out which came in handy as i ended up sleeping in a few hotel parking lots (and once in a parking garage in las vegas) (slept in there for several weeks in joshua tree as well... no trees there). the weight of the false bed + gear ended up wasting my rear suspension though. i bet the suburban could handle the weight no problem, and you'll have sooo much more room than i did. post pics when you're done

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Silverlion, you can utilize your Suburban's trailer hitch. Use it to support the hammock.
    There are a few ideas around on how to do it. Old gringo did it, and a few others.
    Build a tube frame, which inserts into or onto your hitch that can support one end.
    Just a thought.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    be careful hanging off any type of roof rack, I tried it and it popped right off my car (around 2am I might add) : (
    Debi

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    It has the towing package and an add-a-leaf kit on the rear so weight is no issue other than fuel consumption. Speaking of which, it was only $108.00 to fill it up. I had 1/8 of a tank when I filled it. LOL.

I thought about the hitch, but I'd have to move it to open the rear doors and such.
    I have a bulletproof bracket just inside the door for one end of the hammock. I won't be hanging off the rack itself. I am building a collapsible frame for a canopy and the frame is where the other end of the hammock will fasten.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I too would worry about hanging from the roof rack. They are designed to hold a low weight (under 200 Lbs?) in place not support a lateral force that is a hammock with a body in it. I have hung from my WORK roof rack, but it was designed to hold (what I have had on it, at one time) 2 large extension ladders, 4 sheets 3/4" plywood, 1 1/4" sheet Plexiglas. All with no strain. I would never do that to the roof rack on my Cherokee.
    I second the rig to the tow receiver, it was designed for the forces we put on support stuff, & with a properly built attachment, you should be "Golden".
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Great ride for sure will get you there and back hanging in the tundra

• + New Posts