Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies

can you guys critique my setup

Hey everyone,

I am going to carry my son next weekend out for our first hang. We will be traveling by motorcycle and only camping for one evening. We are planning not doing much cooking so we will likely eat at restaurants for our meals.

I setup the hammocks in the backyard to make sure I could figure out how to set them up correctly. My boys are going to sleep in them tonight because they are on fall break this week.

This one if my HH safari with the HH tarp and a JRB nest UQ. I'm using figure 9's to tighten all the lines. I am using the JRB auto tensioning lines on all the tarp lines.

This one is my sons HH expedition with the HH tarp and JRB nest UQ. I'm using figure 9's to tighten the lines on this one as well. I'm using JRB auto tensioning lines on the guy lines for the tarp but didn't have enough of them to do all of the lines.

For stakes I am using the MSR red annodized stakes. I'm not overly concerned about weight but more about bulk. I also plan on carrying two small folding chairs, two sleep bags for TQ, flashlights, two compressible pillows, small polar bear cooler, few snacks, . Can you guys think of anything else I really NEED to carry on our first trip out.
    Last edited by leeinmemphis; 10-17-2010 at 20:24.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um No More
    Tarp
    BCUSA Coyote 10x10
    Insulation
    USMC Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well, for starters, I'd get rid of the chairs. Hammocks make great sitters too.
    Palmetto State Hangers Facebook Group

Last Hang Attended 2013 Fall Sprawl Trip Report

Next Hang To Attend 2014 Spring Swing

I can only afford to live free.
    Anything else cost far too much.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smiley View Post
    Well, for starters, I'd get rid of the chairs. Hammocks make great sitters too.
    yeah I thought about that but didn't know for sure what to do about taking them.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Bottom-entry Hennessy's can be used as a chair, but I've not had the best of luck with them. I like to carry a 18X18 inch section of CCF pad for sitting on, and it is also supplemental insulation. Get the blue CCF and cut it in half for the two of you...

A lantern is nice to have, especially if fires are prohibited where you will be. I like the Black Diamond Orbit or a good candle lantern. The Orbit is an LED and works great on a ridgeline. I always thought headlamps were for nerds, until I got one and realized how useful they are. The Energizer headlamps are pretty good for about $20 a pair...

You don't really need any of what I mentioned, but it does make life a bit more enjoyable. Have fun!

Hammock
    Eno ProNest
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Ridgerest/ Bag
    Suspension
    Custom Straps
    Images
    You may want to take 2 or 3 cotton handtowels/rags to wipe off the tarps with. They do get wet and nasty sometimes with whatever nature (i.e. birds) can ummmm leave behind. Other than that, I think you are in good shape.
    "City Life is the scary life, inane, tiny and alone. Learn wilderness and you don't fear anything." - Terry Russell.

Hammock
    HennessyZIP/ENO
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WhoOpie/Straps
    Images
    It all looks great to me. Makes me sleepy just lookin at them. Have a good one and post a report and some pictures when you get back.
    "The map is not the territory." A. Korzybski

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Make sure you ask your sons for their feedback from sleeping in the backyard. This will help a lot if there's any issues they have.

If you're trying to cut down on bulk... ditch the pillows and get 2 breathable stuff sacks to put your clothes in. Use those as pillows!! I made mine out of WallyWorld ripstop (that translates into CHEAP!)

Ditch the chairs too. It's only one night, sit on the ground or in the hammock. I always carry a small piece of foam insulation (it's about 12"x14") that I use for sitting, extra insulation or someplace to put my feet when getting in and out of my hammock (keeps the dirt out).

TinaLouise

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Man there's nothing wrong that I can see A+++ set up, like you said just one night you got the U/Q's all is well,trooper said what I was thinking, a light; I have the same lantern he mentioned the orbit and on 1/2 power it will last a long time and still you have plenty of light to see/and read by

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    WB
    Insulation
    wookie
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. I just want to use them a few times before I shell out any more $$$ on it. I'm really looking forward to going this weekend. Thanks again!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Looks pretty good!

What kind of firgure 9's are you using? What is their weight rating? Are they supporting the hammock? I'm not a fan of using them for load bearing. The teeth can fray your cordage as well. With hammocking the closer to parallel the hammock gets the more force is exerted on the suspension so even if you have a 150 lb person, if the hammock is near parallel the force could be several times 150 lbs.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast