Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 368
  1. #281
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St Charles, Mo
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    83
    I am about to make my attempt at one of these. I am making a modification to the size, I would like to try for more of a full length one as opposed to the 3/4 length. So need to help checking on my math and if I am going about it wrong. I reckon I will keep the width the same as the original plans at 48 inches. But the length I would like to bring out to 70-72ish, I am 5' 10 so I guess 70 should keep my feet covered??

    So at 48x70 I am guessing I will need 5 yards of IX. That will provide 3 layers at the 45-48" x 60" and 3 layers at 44-48" x 10". Next for the shell, 1.1 ripstop. I figure I will need 4.5 yards to do both sides and make shock cord channels. That way I can skip the gosgrain. So does this sound about right or am I crazy?? lol Thanks for the help.

  2. #282
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St Charles, Mo
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    83
    just a bump to make sure I am on track with materials. Planning on ordering later today. 5 yards ripstop, 5 yards IX should make a 3 layer full length at 70 inches? Thanks

  3. #283
    Member Swede2378's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    1.1 DIY CatCut Hex
    Insulation
    DIY 4-season down
    Suspension
    Dutch!
    Posts
    66
    Strongly recommend grossgrain for the channels, they take a bit of punishment.

  4. #284
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St Charles, Mo
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    83
    Is it possible to use some grosgrain to reinforce the openings and use the ripstop for the channels? I did this on a set of gaiters. Sew a small strip and then used a soldering iron burn a hole in it. My hope with the ripstop channels was to save the weight of running grosgrain the full length on both sides.

  5. #285
    sclittlefield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern woods of Maine
    Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Posts
    1,435
    Images
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    I am about to make my attempt at one of these. I am making a modification to the size, I would like to try for more of a full length one as opposed to the 3/4 length. So need to help checking on my math and if I am going about it wrong. I reckon I will keep the width the same as the original plans at 48 inches. But the length I would like to bring out to 70-72ish, I am 5' 10 so I guess 70 should keep my feet covered??

    So at 48x70 I am guessing I will need 5 yards of IX. That will provide 3 layers at the 45-48" x 60" and 3 layers at 44-48" x 10". Next for the shell, 1.1 ripstop. I figure I will need 4.5 yards to do both sides and make shock cord channels. That way I can skip the gosgrain. So does this sound about right or am I crazy?? lol Thanks for the help.
    Sounds about right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    Is it possible to use some grosgrain to reinforce the openings and use the ripstop for the channels? I did this on a set of gaiters. Sew a small strip and then used a soldering iron burn a hole in it. My hope with the ripstop channels was to save the weight of running grosgrain the full length on both sides.
    Yeah, the gross grain edging will take the brunt of the wear, that's a pretty good way to do it. It's not saving much weight, but it does save a little.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

  6. #286
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St Charles, Mo
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    83
    Thanks for the info. Supplies have been ordered. Will post up some pics when I get done.

  7. #287
    Brute1100's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Texas
    Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Posts
    2,508
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    Thanks for the info. Supplies have been ordered. Will post up some pics when I get done.
    I'm interested in how it turns out... Weight and bulk especially...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

    Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

  8. #288
    MotoBoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Hammock
    DH 11' Freebird
    Tarp
    Kelty 9x9
    Insulation
    DIY Poncho/GoLite
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle Strap
    Posts
    168
    I have a Wiggy's PL.
    http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Produ...TOKEN=50208412

    I am going to attempt to make it into an UQ using these plans.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...2&d=1288037882

    I am not adding any extra layers, just the UQ as purchased as I am using it with a hammock cover
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html

    for mild (above 45 F) weather. All I figure I need to do is cut to size, add the pleats, add the crossgrain channels for cord and done.

    Am I on the right track or thinking foolishy?
    Last edited by MotoBoss; 07-14-2012 at 09:50.
    ~Adventure Before Dementia~

  9. #289
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    St Charles, Mo
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    83
    So as I am leaving my house to go to work, I happen to notice a package on the front porch. I can only guess that is my supplies. Be nice if the mail dude would ring the bell once an awhile, I could have been knee deep on DIY goodies.

    But I have couple questions before I get rolling.

    1. Are the V notches cuts or pleats? I seem to remember reading that an overlapped pleat helped the IX have a small air pocket to maintain heat.

    2. Since this is going to be 70" long, or 72" I am not sure yet, that extra chunk of IX needs to go in there somewhere. Should I alternate putting it on either end so there is not a seam in the same place? or would there be better to do one at each end and split the middle layer in half and insert it in the middle? Hope that makes sense

    3. Regarding the pleats, since the quilt is longer than 60" should I increase the length or width of the pleats as well?

    That should get me going. Might have a question on the suspension when I get there.

    Thanks

  10. #290
    Senior Member rjcress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central NC
    Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Posts
    762
    Images
    19
    My comments are inline below...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffyguy View Post
    ...I have couple questions before I get rolling.

    1. Are the V notches cuts or pleats? I seem to remember reading that an overlapped pleat helped the IX have a small air pocket to maintain heat.
    *Jeff: I've seen it done both ways. I did pleats to save time... but it adds a tiny bit of weight vs cutting

    2. Since this is going to be 70" long, or 72" I am not sure yet, that extra chunk of IX needs to go in there somewhere. Should I alternate putting it on either end so there is not a seam in the same place? or would there be better to do one at each end and split the middle layer in half and insert it in the middle? Hope that makes sense
    *Jeff: I don't think a seam is a problem, as long as you fit the UQ properly so that there isn't any weight-bearing tension on it. I vote for keeping this simple and just adding to one end... I'd say foot end.

    3. Regarding the pleats, since the quilt is longer than 60" should I increase the length or width of the pleats as well?
    *Jeff: It seems logical that making the pleats both longer and wider would make the UQ fit better... with will make it insulate better.

    That should get me going. Might have a question on the suspension when I get there.

    Thanks
    Last edited by rjcress; 07-17-2012 at 09:23. Reason: spelling
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

    My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •