Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    GLP is spot on. I'm not a doctor, but am a nurse. Look up "cold diuresis" and it will all make sense.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I´ll second on the cold issue. When it´s (too)cold i also have several "midnight trips" and i´m only 34. When i´m hot i can stay in my hammock 8-9 hours without any need to relieve myself....

/Bomber
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millarky View Post
    I am only 50. I am female. Last I looked, I don't have a prostate. I have the same night time issues while sleeping outdoors. I think it is because in camp, I am not totally and completely stress free. As secure as I may feel, and as warm and comfy as I may be, noises wake me 4-5 times/night. Once I am awake, I am aware of my bladder. Like Shewie, I may as well get up and get it over with.

Millarky, who is waiting for the half bath hammock.
    I am 30 and have to agree with millarky, As sound as I sleep in the woods I do still have a sense of awareness of whats going on and noise's I hear. When my sleep gets even a bit disturbed in the woods I become aware of my bladder and always have to go and water the plants.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I just use a wide mouth () plastic bottle, then empty it out over the side, making sure my gear is on the other side. It's definitely an art to be learned, but if you relax enough it's easily done on your side.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Thermarest

urology

advancing years of age and prostate growth are facts of life and will happen to most males. Emptying badder frequently happens at home and in the hammock usage world. A plastic jug on the ground within easy reach works for me. I don't even try to hide what is happening. When Nature calls, I answer the phone.

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Fact 1 - Cold diuresis occurs in hypothermia as a result of peripheral vasoconstriction, hyperglycemia and decreased renal tubular absorption.

Fact 2 - The kidneys are behind the bottom ribs in the back. The lower half of each kidney is unprotected by the ribs.

I think that these 2 facts provide me with the answer to my own personal question about why I pee more in a hammock than at home in bed...I am colder, specifically in my lower back (where my kidneys live), when sleeping in my hammock than when sleeping at home or in a tent (due to insulation compression). That makes my body excrete urine more often than it normally would.

I will be interested to test this out when camping with my hammock-sock in a week or so; I'll see if sleeping warmer (specifically with a warmer back) will decrease my nocturnal pee-walks...

Jamie - nfa
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    I am 30 and have to agree with millarky, As sound as I sleep in the woods I do still have a sense of awareness of whats going on and noise's I hear. When my sleep gets even a bit disturbed in the woods I become aware of my bladder and always have to go and water the plants.
    Which leads to problems when you wake to a particularly unsettling noise "out there" and THEN need to go out there yourself...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    For me, it's because I consume far more water while on a hike (water buffalo), than I do at home. Personally, my Nalgene "hard" bottle double's as a pee bottle. It's mostly covered with duct tape in order to be more discrete and gets emptied and sanitized in the morning. The only area not covered is the measuring marks on the side and I use those mainly to measure my urine production at night. This helps me to see if I need to consume more water to help prevent dehydration. It also allows me to see the color of my urine which in turn helps me to determine if I’m consuming enough water.

If I'm going to be in the same spot more than one night, I'll empty the bottle on several large trees (out a way's) around my camp. This scare's off most of the critters and keeps them out of my camp, especially at night.

Some people use empty laundry detergent bottles as well.

Hammock
    HH exped.Asym/ WBBB / DD-travel
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Suspension
    truckers-hitch
    maybe in the woods there is a stronger urge to mark out your territory then when you're at home...

familiair with this ..Don't think it has anything to do with age (had it also when I was a kid) or specifically with a hammock (have it also in a tent) and my records were set on the coldest nights (frequency and duration).
    Last edited by Anorak84; 10-26-2010 at 14:48.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Interesting responses!

To take stock:

1. My prostate is fine according to my Doc. No "dots and dashes", but a manly stream.
    2. While I feel warm (3-season 3/4 UQ from Hammock Gear) maybe my kidneys are a bit cool. I will try a reflectex patch this weekend.
    3. Carbs at bedtime could be a problem. I have a jones for ginger snaps around the campfire, which I will eliminate for a test.
    4. "Cold Diuresis" sounds like a likely culprit. I will consult my Doc.
    5. I am a longtime bottle user in my tent, but I will have to think twice or thrice about using one in a hammock. Standing beside a hammock; Yes, but I am not so adventurous as to try the inside technique.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast