Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension

UQ TQ What to buy first

OK I wasn't sure if this goes here but since it covers both spectrum's I hope its OK. A Brief rambling of the question prompt. I am sure (after reading threads, learning, and just knowing me) That I will end up with the UQ TQ combo. But right now there is a push to get one or the other... The reason is because one of my co workers wants me to come and begin teaching/facilitating the ways of backpacking in particular the LW style of packing to his scout group. So their going to have a car camp outing in two weeks, and he invited me to come and camp with them and that way I can show them/present the theories on backpacking during the day for a while.

Ok so there is the background of the thread prompt. But the dilemma is I only have enough money for either a UQ or TQ. I was originally planning on just using my GG Thinlight foam pad after reading so many post on the quilt systems it just make sense and quite frankly even though my hammock is a double, and all I have done is hang in my garage a couple of times. I have gotten cold in spots and also feel that the pad hampers my "comfort level" Hence why I would like to buy a quilt even before my first "real" hang.

Now what I have for a bag is a WM Highlite (35f) but I also have a Ti goat bivy. I was thinking since I have a enough "bag" type material then I should buy the UQ first, but then again I don't know.

A little history on what my hiking style is: I am predominantly a 3 season hiker, but I push it until the first snow or nighttime temps get to about 20ish and then I get started very early spring (march) I am not much of a winter camper (yet) so a winter quilt is not necessary. I think I like the idea of a full length UQ more then the 2/3 or half just because I am a rotisserie chicken when I sleep/start to sleep. Plus I don't want to take any padding if I have a quilt so augmenting a pad to take up the difference is mute...Plus it has been stated several time before that the weight difference is almost nill between a full and half UQ, but that sometimes full's get a little to hot in the summer days. Although most of my hiking areas still only get to about 40* tops at night.

Also given the fact the I am up in the air and have the elements trying to suck my warmth away form a 360* perspective should I get something more like a 20* rated TQ instead of my normal 35-40* bags I buy. I always pack my Capiline 1's top and bottom and my MB UL down hugger inner jacket and MB Mistral parka along with a beanie, if that gives you any idea of my hiking/at night clothing.

Ok I think I have gone on long enough. So TQ UQ or wait and continue to do more research until I can make a solid decision.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    If you already have good sleeping bags I would say to get the UQ first as several people have had success using sleeping bags partially zipped as a TQ. There are also people who have used shock cord to use a sleeping bag as a UQ also though so.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    I say UQ first. It allows you to sleep in the hammock like your laying in a hammock vs. laying on a bent piece of foam. You can always use a sleeping bag as a TQ. All you are carrying is a couple xtra ounces and a little more stuffed size with the bag vs. the TQ.

I view it as a UQ is for comfort and a TQ is for weight savings.

As far as full or 3/4. I just made a 3/4 - 20 degree UQ. Prior to that, I used a full. I like the "simplicity" of the full (pack one thing) vs having to have a foot pad or something for your feet. The full UQ packs a lot bigger and probably weighs about the same as the 3/4 UQ + foot pad/sit pad. If you normally carry a sit pad, I think it makes sense to go with 3/4. I didn't but I guess I'm going to start. I am not a UL hiker by any stretch.

FWIW, Most of my camping is in 40 degree low weather and I was perfect at 39 degrees the first time I used the 3/4 20 degree UQ.

Temp ratings on bags are all over the place and depend on how you sleep. I am a cold sleeper and have a 45 degree down bag that I can sleep in (a little cool) at 45 degrees. I have a synthetic 20 degree bag that I have taken comfortably to 28 and was cozy. On another trip with the same bag, I froze at 40, but I think that had to do with the pad I was using. Who knows?

I think down bags have a larger spread of comfort, for example, my 45 degree bag is comfy to 70 degrees.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

TQ or UQ

Mugs,
    I'm kind of in the same boat. My hanging until has all been hot weather so there's not really been a need for either. My last trip got "cool" as in the lower 60s and I was OK with an old fleece bag liner and a reflective foam pad. It was a pain to stay on the thing but I slept OK.

Hanging isn't to save weight for me but more of a comfort issue. It also opens up a lot of site options that a lumpy, wet, inclined ground doesn't allow. So I guess I need to just spend the bucks on a good TQ/UQ system (but I'm kind of a cheapskate).

I've got a 4 day backpacking trip coming up in December and another hang in January. I'll have to do some experimenting in the back yard beforehand but I'm probably going to just recycle some sleeping bags for now. I'm trying to turn an old rectangular bag into a sort of shortened KAQ. The local shops are really lacking on fabric and other supplies though.

I'm hoping to be able to rig an old down bag and some foam into an acceptable bottom insulation for into the 30s. For the top I've got a variety of synthetic/down bags that will work for now. It won't be light or eloquent but should keep me warm.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    When it's cold out I use my underquilt and I zip into my sleeping bag. A lot of work to get in but it's great once I'm there.

I'd get an UQ and use the sleeping bag with it to start.

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    I'd get an UQ and use the sleeping bag with it to start.
    +1, with hammocks, insulating underneath you is the trickiest part, and the UQ can help manage that task.

Jamie - nfa
    "We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

My Author Website/Blog - My first novel, "Here Be Monsters", a mystery set in the Adirondacks, has just been published in paperback and Kindle formats.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Same here. Get the under quilt. Use the sleeping bag as a top quilt for now.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    UQ, UQ, U GOTTA HAVE A UQ!!

You have a decent bag. Getting a uq in a hurry may be tricky tho..order quick.

Or see if a local hanger will loan/rent one to you.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Ditto on the UQ first. I got a KAQ 2/3 UQ and it works well. I use my trusty Kelty down sleeping bag as a TQ. I go back & forth between the hammock and a cot/thermarest combo on my river trips due to a lack of suitable trees in some river camps, so having a sleeping bag makes better sense for me. The top quilts look awfully nice, but for now I'll stick with the sleeping bag.
    I do sometimes wish I had a full length UQ as I am a pretty active & cold sleeper, but so far I've stayed pretty warm in the shorter UQ.
    KJ

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    I view it as a UQ is for comfort and a TQ is for weight savings.
    I like that statement.

I'm in agreement that an underquilt should come first. So many options for insulation on top, especially if weight and volume isn't an issue, that a topquilt would be near the bottom of my getting started wish-list.

For teaching youngins, I definitely think a full length UQ is the way to lead by example. I believe partial UQs require more responsibility on the part of the user and that user should already know their tolerances with temps. I suppose it's like a teenager just learning to drive...legally; parents don't usually want them on the highways until they've gotten comfortable with the main roads.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast