Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11
    Senior Member Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Posts
    1,568
    Unofficial results of backyard test hang with new XL New River so far:

    Thermometer shows 48* @ 8:30pm CST
    BB hammock with netting thrown over ridgeline. I'm looking up at the stars!
    XL New River beneath the BB. Nothing else.
    I'm in shorts, t-shirt, bald as a Telly Savalas, and no socks.
    No TQ, no sheet, no blanket, nothing on top. Zilch. Nada. Just the night air.
    I'm as snug as a bug in a rug!

    Been outside for 20 minutes. Enough for body temp to stabilize and adjust. Nothing but warmth below me!

    This is encouraging!

    Okay, so it's not exactly Arctic conditions out there...but it just proves to me how warm my XL New River is going to be. If I'm comfortable in the above conditions, and I absolutely HATE being cold, then there's no telling how low I'll be able to go with the XL below me for insulation.

    The saga continues later with more updates as the temps continue to dip. If I break out my matching AHE Owyhee TQ in Woodland Camo, I might not be able to find the hammock in my own backyard!

  2. #12
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,491
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Unofficial results of backyard test hang with new XL New River so far:

    Thermometer shows 48* @ 8:30pm CST
    BB hammock with netting thrown over ridgeline. I'm looking up at the stars!
    XL New River beneath the BB. Nothing else.
    I'm in shorts, t-shirt, bald as a Telly Savalas, and no socks.
    No TQ, no sheet, no blanket, nothing on top. Zilch. Nada. Just the night air.
    I'm as snug as a bug in a rug!

    Been outside for 20 minutes. Enough for body temp to stabilize and adjust. Nothing but warmth below me!

    This is encouraging!

    Okay, so it's not exactly Arctic conditions out there...but it just proves to me how warm my XL New River is going to be. If I'm comfortable in the above conditions, and I absolutely HATE being cold, then there's no telling how low I'll be able to go with the XL below me for insulation.

    The saga continues later with more updates as the temps continue to dip. If I break out my matching AHE Owyhee TQ in Woodland Camo, I might not be able to find the hammock in my own backyard!
    Yeah! Are you sleeping like that all night???
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  3. #13
    UncleMJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Hammock
    HHExplUL; WBBB; SmokeHouse; ROO...
    Tarp
    HM Suite or HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    2,287
    Images
    6
    I'm looking forward to seeing it in person soon!

  4. #14
    Senior Member Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Yeah! Are you sleeping like that all night???
    Definitely not, sir.

    In a couple of hours, I'm going to test a light fleece throw blanket on top for a bit of warmth and my Owyhee TQ in the wee hours of the morning.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing it in person soon!
    You'll be the first to see it, my friend.

    Well...that is...if you can find my hanging spot with all this camo gear I've got surrounding me!

  6. #16
    Senior Member Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Posts
    1,568
    Well, I'm a bit disappointed. It maybe got down to 46* last night here in my little neck of the woods.

    All I needed on top of me was a thin, fleece throw blanket. No need for the Owyhee TQ.

  7. #17
    Bunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bowmanville, ON
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    336
    Wow, nice looking set up! That camo is awesome

  8. #18
    Senior Member Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    2,283
    Hey Alan, could I convince you to get some pics with someone in the hammock? Really wondering just how the XL fits the WBBB compared to the stock NR UQ for us broad in the shoulder types that travel in our sleep.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

    Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

  9. #19
    Senior Member Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Posts
    1,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Hey Alan, could I convince you to get some pics with someone in the hammock?
    I've already broken everything down and packed it away in preparation for the upcoming hang here in Texas. Maybe I can convince someone to take pictures at that point.

    I believe the NR is 48" wide and the XLNR is 56" wide and a tad bit longer, but Paul is probably the best source to confirm/deny that info.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Law Dawg (ret)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Left Coast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    2,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've already broken everything down and packed it away in preparation for the upcoming hang here in Texas. Maybe I can convince someone to take pictures at that point.

    I believe the NR is 48" wide and the XLNR is 56" wide and a tad bit longer, but Paul is probably the best source to confirm/deny that info.
    Perfect thanks. I'm in no rush anyway...just doing research. AHE has the specs and you are correct about the widths. Paul maintains the stocker will work fine for my height and weight but the wild card in my mind is shoulder/chest width and I am a typical Celt, 6-3/266 barrel chested with stumpy legs.
    Mark is the name and If there is more than one way to understand what I just said....I meant the good one.

    Earth First! We'll dirt bike ride the other planets later.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •