Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: stuffed tarp

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips
    Posts
    109

    stuffed tarp

    I'm thinking about getting a Big Mamjamba tarp; haven't decided on Spinn or silnylon yet. When the tarp gets stuffed into the stuff sack, how big (i.e., volume) is the stuffed tarp compared to the size of the WBBB 1.7 double when it's stuffed into it's bag?

  2. #2
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,488
    Images
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by pgustaf249 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a Big Mamjamba tarp; haven't decided on Spinn or silnylon yet. When the tarp gets stuffed into the stuff sack, how big (i.e., volume) is the stuffed tarp compared to the size of the WBBB 1.7 double when it's stuffed into it's bag?
    Here ya' go......
    BlackBird on left and Big MamaJamba in spinn (with 4 doors crammed in there as well) on right.
    Shug

    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  3. #3
    i think shug might have a single or double 1.1 in a smaller stuffsac? the tarp will be a good bit smaller than the double 1.7

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ukiah, CA
    Posts
    51
    Also, those are stuff sacks, not compression sacks. I know with my WBBB and tarp I can get them in the sack and then cram them in my bag in an even smaller space. I try to avoid it for any extended period of time because I'm not sure if it'd damage anything.

    So, since we are on the topic... would it?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by s1125r View Post
    Also, those are stuff sacks, not compression sacks. I know with my WBBB and tarp I can get them in the sack and then cram them in my bag in an even smaller space. I try to avoid it for any extended period of time because I'm not sure if it'd damage anything.

    So, since we are on the topic... would it?
    So enlighten this NuB mind on the difference between a stuff sack and compression sack. From the name it seems a no-brainer to go with compression to save space in a pack. I need a bit more info.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,691
    Images
    7
    Compression sacks have webbing and buckles on the sides to compress the load like an accordion.
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 11-06-2010 at 10:52. Reason: typo
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  7. #7
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,566
    Images
    39
    Compression sacks pack smaller but weigh more.
    So, is volume or weight more important to you?
    Also, remember that certain things shouldn't be compressed too much (down or synthetic quilts).
    Another thing, the harder you stuff things, the more they end up like hard bowling balls that can pack inefficiently and maybe poke you in the back as you walk.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WldrnslgsTQ+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/DutchClips
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Compression sacks pack smaller but weigh more.
    So, is volume or weight more important to you?
    Also, remember that certain things shouldn't be compressed too much (down or synthetic quilts).
    Another thing, the harder you stuff things, the more they end up like hard bowling balls that can pack inefficiently and maybe poke you in the back as you walk.
    Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought about the "poking" matter. Still have a long way to go before the NuB title wears off.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ukiah, CA
    Posts
    51
    Depending on what you are carrying, like a framed pack, the poking may be a null issue. Also, I could have phrased it better, but I said I put my hammock and tarp in their stuff sacks and then cram them in my pack(said bag earlier, meant pack). Point being, just because they pack that big outside the pack doesn't mean they'll take that much space inside the pack. You don't need a compression sack to compress things.

    And on compression sacks, they will compress stuff more and end up in a round shape, but the weight difference is normally some little plastic buckles and a couple feet of webbing. If you are a gram weenie, you'll worry about the difference, if you aren't, you won't notice it.

    That said, ounces make pounds. I happen not to be worried about it because I camp mostly out of a kayak.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •