MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Panda Hammock on Overstock for $110

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...1/product.html

How flat can you get in these things, anyway?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    thats where I got mine... there's a discount code you can use for ten bucks off too at least there was when i got mine... i'd have to search my emails for it

I've only tried this hammock and a crazy crib so i can't tell you comparatively, i'm sure compared to asym it's very curved but even with sag i think it is fine

when it's hung the suspension is almost like a bridge hammock, it's as if there's a rope down each side holding the weight and the hammock body is suspended from them, so the sag even when tight is almost the same, when i tried tightening the straps to make it more flat, it made a sleight difference but it made it too tight on my shoulders...

i think turk said he was thinking of trying spreaders, I'm waiting to hear about that

this thing comes with 2 pieces of webbing on the ends, i'm considering cutting those and adding a carabiner or hoop tensioner, i'm using eno slapstraps and they have loops about a foot apart, not very fine tunable

i added photos of mine in the gallery, i'll try to get some with me in it with the tension loose and tight to compare the curves, i'm curious

here's a photo that might show it better, the top edge of the black is taut like a rope and the black material is the hammock portion, the way it is sewn together kind of makes it hang like a bridge hammock only there's no spreaders
    Last edited by snull; 12-01-2007 at 20:49.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    interesting, is the insulation for the bottom/back sewed onto the bottom of the hammock to keep it from being compressed? Or is it just a sleeping bag with a hammock sheet added to the bottom?
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Images
    I note that it is 65/35/ poly/cotton. If it gets wet won't it hold water like a sponge?

Images

panda

i don't know but i think only the bag liner is cotton? haven't had mine get too wet yet other than from condensation, left it out and it evaporated

i felt like farting around and put the panda inside the crazy crib last night, works pretty good that way too, new pics in my gallery

Images
    On the company's web page (http://highpeakusa.org/sleep_bags/panda.html) they show an interesting rope for hanging. It has you run the rope three times through loops in itself to secure it. Have you tried this rope Snull? I don't see it in use in your pictures.

Also, like NickleAndDime, I'm interested in whether they have the insulation under the layer you lie on. From your pictures it appears it is a sleeping bag with a hammock layer underneath and an extra layer below that for a pad. But perhaps it is more like the hammock someone else on the forum was creating where the support layer is inside the insulation of the bag so that the bottom fill wouldn't be compressed during sleep.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    looks like there is a sleeve underneath to slide a bad underneath neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    looks like there is a sleeve underneath to slide a pad

underneath neo

pad not bad neo
    the matrix has you

Images
    turk has a pretty good review thread with more photos here

insulation is not underneath its a sleeping bag sewn inside a hammock

right, there is a pad pocket under it, a tapered one

didn't come with that rope i don't know where to buy that

another thing, I'm 6' 240lbs, length wise i have extra room, width wise it compresses my shoulders, especialy if i tighten the sag, but not so much i can't sleep, and i usually lay almost sideways anyway and then it doesn't matter

there is no laying on a diagonal at all on this thing for me, it's a definate mummy sack the foot end is pretty narrow

i bought it just needing a sleeping bag though, not a bad price for an 8 degree bag I figured, the rest of the features were just a bonus

something i want to try maybe is tinkering with it somehow to use it as an underquilt, outside my crazy crib instead of inside, i've never tried an underquilt i hear they are very warm, i have a thermarest pad and wal mart blue ccf pad and they are warm but narrow

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    Its well worth exploring that Idea Snull. I tried the same thing a few weekends ago. I hung my ENO single hammock just slightly inside the panda hammock. It took tonnes of adjustment to get it just right, but it seemed to work pretty good. In the end, I really liked the pod idea. But I would much rather use a good quality rectangular sleeping bag and sew it into a pod and still be able to save a pound or two over the panda hammock acting as a makeshift pod.