View Poll Results: To Hike or not to hike

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then 7 miles to campsite 2 and 7 miles to shuttle cars making a loop.

3 25.00%
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then 7 miles to campsite 2 and then 7 miles back to original starting point.

1 8.33%
  • Hike the 1/4 mile day 1 then day 2 3 miles set up camp then do day hikes

3 25.00%
  • Just make a plan as a group night one around campfire.

5 41.67%
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Jim, When planning trips I always try to get live human intell of the area that I am looking at. Since you be hunting Queheanna area and will have an opportunity to check out potential hang locations. I think it would be wise for us use that intell and plan on going there. As for hiking distances I am somewhat familiar with the terrain in this general area of Pa. In places it can be some pretty treacherous walking / footing. With the variables of weather, water, trail conditions and experience levels. Perhaps it might be wise to plan on doing a reasonable hike in to a hang site with water access. Then use that as a base of operations and plan day hikes from there. This is only a suggestion though. I am up for whatever the group would like to do.
    Terry

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    I am looking at my map to figure some place that can handle parking and the terrain is mostly level with a near by water source. I have hiked the entire 75 mile loop as well as the 20 mile cross connector and know the areas that were fun walking in fair weather Folks what do you call a reasonable hike in guys winter is 5 miles or less ok with you guys I don't want to push any buddy this is a hang not a thru hike . I am doing 5 days in the UP in may too hike so this can be short mileage plus if got to bad we can always be close enough to bail if weather turns sour on us. Please feel free to give opinions first trip I have organized won't mind the help

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Being February we should have at least some snow on the ground and possibly a bunch. With that in mind it is probably wise to limit the hike into camp to no more than five miles. Over the last year or so I have been gathering the materials to make a polk sled. I hope to get it put together in the near future. Then get some field testing done when the first snow flies here. If it passes Field trials I may bring it along. It would be just the ticket to handle the extra equipment and gear that snow camping will require. I am assuming that the Moshannon State Forest like most Forests has a bunch of unimproved roads. In selecting a parking / staging area it is a good idea to keep road conditions in mind. What is passable and OK driving in decent weather my suddenly turn treacherous with a weather change.
    Terry

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    [QUOTE=Iafte;355089]You should come to the NJ hang as a "warm up" to going on this trip.

I would love to make the hang, but I have to work that entire weekend. It is so close, I was hoping to make it for one night, but with my job, that isn't possible. Bad luck for me, I was looking forward to it the first time I heard about it.

can you tell I'm sad about it ?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Quehanna_East.pdf

I am including a map of the area and What I am proposing is just above and to the right of Pa Game Lands 34 and the Marion Brooks Natural area There is Parking Flat Terrain as well as water sources if no snow This area is allot of smaller trails compared to the QT Trail there is a large track of white Birch trees and the opportunity to see elk in the wild . What do people think . Also I need to clarify the dates I show the 18th 19th and 20th when I show the 18th that is the starting day we will camp a short distance in from parking area so those that have to work on friday can get there later in the Day . I am planning a trip to the area to scout in Jan and will have GPS coordinates for the camping area we will use .

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    From what I can see it looks to be a good choice and seems to be a good plan. I'm looking forward to it.
    Terry

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Thanks for the PDF map the area. Just drove through there Friday. May get down there and look the place over as its not quite 1.5 hours from home. Will keep an eye on the thread for updates and see if I can get there in Feb. Sure would be nice to meet everyone.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    I'd be up for a hang, it'd be my first. I've hiked much of the QT and did the HCW this past summer. The Hickory Creek trail might be rough with snow, since its pretty difficult to follow anyway, and trail obstructions are a major hassle at some points. I did a 30-something mile loop on the QT using the ECC and some XC trails recently, and had a great time. Had my first bear visit there, too! I guess what I mean to say is that the QT would be my choice, if it were up to me. Some great bridges along the trail and the best campsite I've ever seen. Parking was limited where I started, on the Quehanna Highway in Piper, but surely there is a better place to start than there. I'd have to dig my trail map out and see if we passed through the Marion Natural Area, but I think this is a great choice!

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner
    Guestimating around a 7 hr drive, but I'd still be interested in making it out to this, providing the dates work out for me...which at this point they should. I'll keep my eye on this and give a more firm answer as the hang date approaches.
    Trailname - Knox
    LT10

My Weight Sheet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    With all the interest this is shaping up to be a great get together.
    Terry

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast