Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Posts
    153

    Sportsmans Guide Down Pillows

    More down on sale at the guide. Every time I see one of these sales I wonder if the down would be good for a quilt. I noticed other pillows says "Feather and down" but these ones specifically say DOWN.

    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...478&ecid=EX46D

  2. #2
    New Member readr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Azle, TX
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    BWDD
    Insulation
    Pads n Bags
    Suspension
    Whoopies T.Huggers
    Posts
    12
    The details say 75% down, I'm guessing the other 25% is feather. Either way seems like a good deal on some down pillows.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lonely Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bolingbrook, IL
    Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by readr1 View Post
    The details say 75% down, I'm guessing the other 25% is feather.
    Or Rocks. It could totally be rocks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member 1022's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bucks County, PA
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Camo
    Insulation
    camo-incubator
    Suspension
    Black DIY Whoopies
    Posts
    98
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    More down on sale at the guide. Every time I see one of these sales I wonder if the down would be good for a quilt. I noticed other pillows says "Feather and down" but these ones specifically say DOWN.

    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...478&ecid=EX46D
    It would be really great if that 1lb pillow was full of 900 power down!!! It's a tantalizing possibility, but it is SportsmansGuide, under $40 odds are that it is bulk feathers and down mixed in some percentage (they are probably not too concerned with warmth or weight, or loft with a pillow, just how firm it is once stuffed) If anybody can comment on the quality of this pillow fill, chime in , I would love to be wrong about this

  5. #5
    Senior Member Festus Hagen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Malta, NY
    Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    528
    "The white down (minimum 75%) is fully sterilized"

    According to my math that means about 25% feathers. You could pick out the feathers, but I'm betting that would leave you with 450 fill power down... or less?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Posts
    153
    Good points. I see sears put 900fp pillows on sale for that price from time to time. I know there are other threads that suggest such but does any one have experience with the down out of pillows?

  7. #7
    JC Haywire kc7fys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Posts
    214
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Or Rocks. It could totally be rocks.
    Could also be apples.

    ...or gravy! Possibly a duck.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lonely Raven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bolingbrook, IL
    Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Posts
    1,516
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Good points. I see sears put 900fp pillows on sale for that price from time to time. I know there are other threads that suggest such but does any one have experience with the down out of pillows?
    I thought you were foolin' till I hit the Sears page...I find it difficult to believe they sell 900 Fill Power stuff...though the pricing looks about right if it was.

  9. #9
    JC Haywire kc7fys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY 4-Season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Posts
    214
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    More down on sale at the guide. Every time I see one of these sales I wonder if the down would be good for a quilt. I noticed other pillows says "Feather and down" but these ones specifically say DOWN.

    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...478&ecid=EX46D
    I just purchased a Kelty Women's Light Year 20 deg bag with 19oz of 650fp down in it to modify into a TQ. The Clymb had it advertised for about 105$ shipped CONUS. Not the top-of-the-line anything--but I think with a little creativity, it'll make a lovely topquilt. I'm 6'1", so it's bound to require considerable modification.
    Ebay down bags are a bit more dicey of a proposition, but another source of downy plunder.

  10. #10
    Senior Member dkperdue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tidewater, va
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Posts
    501
    Images
    7
    Rocks, Apples, Ducks??
    Now if it was Trix cereal, I'd buy a dozen of them.
    Think about it they are mostly air, so probably have some insulating quilities.
    And you could eat them if faced with a survivial situation.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •