Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to hang

Hammock
    ENO dn

How to hang

I need help and ideas on how I can hang a hammock on my lanai at my condo. It measures 18' 6" diagonally across and is 9' 3' high. It is block concrete with painted stucko. I don't know if the block concrete is poured through or not. Any ideas on what kind of mounting brackets and hardware would be helpful. I also need suggestions on how high to mount the brackets so that I can get a proper hang and I'm not dragging on the floor. Im not planning on leaving the hammock constantly mounted full time. I will it hang when a siesta is needed and then take it down.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Don't know about the mounting but I think 7 to 7 and a half feet high anchor points should give you a decent hanging angle for that distance.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I wouldn't hang from the block walls if I were you. There is a real danger of buckling the wall. Does the lanai have a roof? If so, you may be able to work with the joists.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Is it necessary to hang on the diagonal like that? 18.5 feet is quite far between anchor points which also means the anchor points will be quite high for the preferred 30 degree hang angle. Is it possible to hang from 2 walls that are parallel?

Some pictures of the area in question would help so that you can get other hanging suggestions.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Pictures please!
    Then we can give better info. Try to figure out if the wall is filled.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    ENO dn
    The lanai is on a two story condo/row/town home building. My unit is a single floor unit on the first floor ground level. The ceiling above my lanai is the floor for the lanai on the unit above me. I think it has joists because the ceiling looks to be the same texture as the dry wall ceiling inside my unit only painted a different color.

About the diagonal measurement, I think it is necessary to hang at a diagonal because one of the parallel walls has a large window spanning the width of the wall. The measurement between the parallel walls or the length of the lanai is 16' 11", the width is 7' 7", making the diagonal measurement from corner to corner 18' 6". I don't have to use the entire diagonal length, on the wall that is 16' 11" there is an 8' sliding glass door centered leaving 53.5 inches on either side of the glass door.

Let me see if I can figure out how to post some pics. I appreciate all the help I can get on this. If I can get this to work it will be easier explaining to the wife any new hammocks and suspensions as the cost per usage will significantly go down.

Hammock
    ENO dn
    I was thinking one mount would be to the left of the sliding glass door going towards the window and the other on the far wall near the screen door.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Skeebo; 11-20-2010 at 21:54. Reason: additional info

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Maintenance Super....

Just an idea....Is there a maintenance guy on staff there that works on the units? He might have some more insight on the construction or be able to tell you exactly how to hang it.

How old are the units? Thanks to all the hurricanes that have bashed FL in the past the building codes have been pushed up quite a bit. That block lanai might be a lot stronger than you think.

I'm kicking around going a different route on my back patio. I don't have any significant roof structure to hang from so I'm stuck with a stand. I'm hoping to build one that folds up quickly/easily.

Last but not least...Is the floor a poured slab? You might be able to put a couple of anchors in the corners running up to small "A" frames. You'd basically end up with a suspension bridge sort of setup. Look around for some threads on "alternative hanging" or similar and you'll get some ideas.

Hammock
    ENO dn
    No maintenance guy on staff, any work needing done to the outside of the buildings are contracted through the off site management company. I bought the unit new in 2007 when the condo was built so its fairly new. My floor is a poured slab that I just had tiled about three weeks ago, so breaking up the new tile to get to the concrete floor is definitely out.
    Thanks for the tip on the "alternative hanging", Ill see what comes up.

Keep the ideas coming. There has to be a solution and I can't wait to hear it.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeebo View Post

About the diagonal measurement, I think it is necessary to hang at a diagonal because one of the parallel walls has a large window spanning the width of the wall. The measurement between the parallel walls or the length of the lanai is 16' 11", the width is 7' 7", making the diagonal measurement from corner to corner 18' 6". I don't have to use the entire diagonal length, on the wall that is 16' 11" there is an 8' sliding glass door centered leaving 53.5 inches on either side of the glass door.
    If you can move your anchor down one of the wall sections that is 53.5" so that the net diagonal length is closer to 14' or 15' then you won't need to have your anchor points so high to get a proper hang angle. If the walls are concrete (solid or block) you could use the lead anchor shields and then screw in a screw hook of sufficient size then you should be fine to hang from.

I am not an engineer so if one of the local quants wants to chime in, they can feel free to do so.

Cheers

Brian.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast