Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    New Member EveretteHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Winnsboro, SC
    Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies, toggles
    Posts
    16
    Images
    5
    Amsteel, Whoopies order from reddenmarine.com, Type in Hammockforum in cupon block for discount just ordered 100' of 7/64 grey, $.20/ft, ship to SC for $25 and some change. A lot of Vids on youtube on how to make and rig whoopie slings to any hammock. Enjoy.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    248
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I've ordered some 7/64th amsteel (enough to make single line suspensions for both me and the GF [she insists on having a hammock now too]). I'm not yet convinced on the issue of woopie slings, though. I'll play around with it, but if the amsteel will hold e.g. a bowline hitch and a marlinspike hitch I'd rather just use knots than have to deal with the constraints of the woopie sling approach.

    I've been searching the thirft stores for good deals on down containing items. I've found a few comforters/featherbeds with down, but I figure that's only the ~400 fill power stuff. I did find jacket and a vest, though, which should have > ~700 fill power. I've removed the sleeves from of the jacket (they were too short for me anyway), making a vest, and the down from the sleeves should be more than enough to make a couple of down filled beanies (as soon as I figure out a pattern for them...)

    Jo-ann's had a Black Friday sale, but unfortunately the nylon was not discounted at all.

  3. #13
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,696
    Images
    2
    If you want a whoopie suspension... The complete system is about 1/3 off at the moment on the black friday weekend sale...http://www.jacksrbetter.com/HammockSuspensionSystem.htm

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  4. #14
    Has anybody tried bank line for suspension? It would have to be braided together to be strong enough.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    248
    OK, I got my amsteel in the mail today. Amazing stuff. I was able to assemble a pair of whoopie slings ~6' quite easily (having never spliced rope before) using a doubled-over length of bailing wire. I figure I'll give these a try, as I can always pull it all back out to into two 12' segments. Making a continuous loop splice was a bit more fiddly... To summarize, the suspension I ended up with comprises two 6' sections of poly webbing, two wooden toggles, two 6' whoopie slings and a whoopie sling adjustable ridgeline (very similar to what's for sale at whoopieslings.com).

    A few things learned:

    1) The dye on the black amsteel doesn't stay on the rope very long (most of it ended up on my hands). Is that true of all the colors?

    2) I should have splurged and bought more rope, as I've already pretty much used up the 50' I bought in making the suspension for one hammock.

    3) There is really no difference between a UCR and a Whoopie Sling--the name depends on which ends you connect to the load. This means that there's no need to worry about not being able to span more than 6' with a 6' whoopie... All you have to do is flip it over and live with having to tie a backup knot on loose end of the contrictor. Perhaps everyone knows this already, but it wasn't apparent to me from reading the forums...

    Thanks again for all the suggestions!

  6. #16
    Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Posts
    5,348
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post

    3) There is really no difference between a UCR and a Whoopie Sling--the name depends on which ends you connect to the load. This means that there's no need to worry about not being able to span more than 6' with a 6' whoopie... All you have to do is flip it over and live with having to tie a backup knot on loose end of the contrictor. Perhaps everyone knows this already, but it wasn't apparent to me from reading the forums...

    Thanks again for all the suggestions!
    Not sure what you mean by there is no difference. On a whoopie sling, both ends of the constrictor are under tension. On a UCR only one end of the constrictor is under tension leaving the other susceptible to slipping.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by odds View Post
    Not sure what you mean by there is no difference. On a whoopie sling, both ends of the constrictor are under tension. On a UCR only one end of the constrictor is under tension leaving the other susceptible to slipping.
    What I mean is that if you disconnect the fixed-loop end of the whoopie from the load and instead connect the free end (the end normally pulled on to tighten) to the load, then you have a UCR (which can extend further than the whoopie configuration).

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by jackleberry View Post
    What I mean is that if you disconnect the fixed-loop end of the whoopie from the load and instead connect the free end (the end normally pulled on to tighten) to the load, then you have a UCR (which can extend further than the whoopie configuration).
    Actually, perhaps I'm wrong. I'll have to give this statement a little more thought when I'm sober...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •