Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 167
  1. #81
    Cuthalion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bangor, Maine
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL, ThunderBird 1.9 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly & Sock
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    56
    Images
    23
    Great set-up. I use the same arrangement with the Superfly.
    Thank for the videos/photos.

  2. #82
    Senior Member OneThing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20 Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I have these on my SF. Had it hung today, with a lot of wind. I noticed that two of my guylines were loose, so I tightened them and watched as one slid back. Guess the little teeth on the line loc is worn just enough to not hold. Tied a taught line hitch to keep it tight until I took it down. Luckly I had an extra line loc, so it has been replaced. It would still hold as long as I didn't have a lot of tension on the line. Kind of defeats the purpose. I have these on my Tadpole, and have not had any issues. Maybe it is just a defective lock......RR
    That sucks! I just got 10 of them in the mail today. I'm still going to give them a go. Nothing lasts forever, but one would hope you can get at least a few years or more out of them.

  3. #83
    Brute1100's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    South Texas
    Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Posts
    2,508
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
    That sucks! I just got 10 of them in the mail today. I'm still going to give them a go. Nothing lasts forever, but one would hope you can get at least a few years or more out of them.
    Just throw a slippery half hitch behind it and sliding stops
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

    Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

  4. #84
    Senior Member bonsaihiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Kentucky (Greater Cincinnati)
    Hammock
    12 foot DIY or WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,121
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I have these on my SF. Had it hung today, with a lot of wind. I noticed that two of my guylines were loose, so I tightened them and watched as one slid back. Guess the little teeth on the line loc is worn just enough to not hold. Tied a taught line hitch to keep it tight until I took it down. Luckly I had an extra line loc, so it has been replaced. It would still hold as long as I didn't have a lot of tension on the line. Kind of defeats the purpose. I have these on my Tadpole, and have not had any issues. Maybe it is just a defective lock......RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Just throw a slippery half hitch behind it and sliding stops
    They seem to hold very well with my Speer No-Tangle line. However, I tried one with Zing-it today and it slips. My lines have silicone tubing tensioners and the line loc slips before full tension is applied. I used to have them attached to the tarp with prussiks and those held fine. I did put a slippery half hitch behind the line loc and it held then, but the purpose (for me, anyway) of using hardware is for ease of use and to keep from having to use knots.

    Disappointing, for sure, but I guess it isn't surprising as slippery as that cord is. Anyone else have this problem?

    EDIT: I just re-read the OP. He is using the same line, but has a Spinn tarp and is only using the shock cord as a shock absorber for wind. Therefore, he only stretches the shock cord 1 inch. Mine would hold with this much tension, but I need to stretch the tarp tensioner out so it will do its job on my silnylon tarps. Guess I'll have to go back to my "Opie style" lines or switch to less-slippery cord.
    Last edited by bonsaihiker; 01-26-2013 at 16:36.
    --Scott <><

    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

  5. #85
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    I have these on my Tadpole, and they have held fine, and I pulled them pretty tight. The day I set this up and had problems with it slipping, I had the tarp inside out so I could seal the side pull-outs. There was a very strong wind and with the size of this tarp, and not using the side pull-outs to help hold it, didn't help matters. When I first set it up, and had the pullout guys in use, it held. I am going to set it up again tomarrow with the new line loc, and see what happens.........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Windsor, Ont
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    lambskin rugs/pluq
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Posts
    104
    just red this then place an order for 8

  7. #87
    ^shane^'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    722
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    EDIT: I just re-read the OP. He is using the same line, but has a Spinn tarp and is only using the shock cord as a shock absorber for wind. Therefore, he only stretches the shock cord 1 inch. Mine would hold with this much tension, but I need to stretch the tarp tensioner out so it will do its job on my silnylon tarps. Guess I'll have to go back to my "Opie style" lines or switch to less-slippery cord.
    I actually stretch the shock cord pretty tight, leaving 1 or 2 inches of play for shock.

    Still have not had a slip in wind since initial installation.

    Wondering if those having issues have their line going through the line loc differently?

    Again... I'm using 2.2 Zing-It on my set up. Gets pretty snug in the line loc.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

    "While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

    Enjoy the day
    Shane

  8. #88
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    Ahhhh, your using 2.2 where most, including me, are using the 1.75. I missed that, or it's been a while since I have looked at the OP. That is where the difference is. I may have to get some 2.2. Thanks for the input, Shane........RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


  9. #89
    Senior Member bonsaihiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northern Kentucky (Greater Cincinnati)
    Hammock
    12 foot DIY or WBBB
    Tarp
    HH Hex/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,121
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    I actually stretch the shock cord pretty tight, leaving 1 or 2 inches of play for shock.

    Still have not had a slip in wind since initial installation.

    Wondering if those having issues have their line going through the line loc differently?

    Again... I'm using 2.2 Zing-It on my set up. Gets pretty snug in the line loc.
    No, I threaded it the same way as you. Thanks for the clarification on the tension. With repeated testing, mine would hold at that tension level. Also, thinking more about it, adding a slippery half hitch when high winds are expected wouldn't be that big of a problem to do, and would give a good deal of peace of mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Ahhhh, your using 2.2 where most, including me, are using the 1.75. I missed that, or it's been a while since I have looked at the OP. That is where the difference is. I may have to get some 2.2. Thanks for the input, Shane........RR
    I'm using 1.75 also. It wedges pretty far down, about mid-way or so. I would have thought that was better, but maybe not.

    I did order some 1.2 mm Spectra (like Speer NT but thinner) and will try that out. If it works better I just may switch out the line. Simpler and easier is always better. Thanks again for sharing this, Shane.
    --Scott <><

    "I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

  10. #90
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    The only problem I see with the 1.2 mm line is that you are getting really close to the minimum size cord for the locs, and it may actually not work as well. But you can give it a try, even if you just do one line to test it.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •