War Bonnet Black Bird & BA 20 degree Bag?

Still considering hammocks..... I initially wanted to go hammock to cut weight, but the weight is going to be about the same as my BA Seed Lot 1 so my reasoning is mainly towards the convenience of being off the ground.

Been checking out Hennessy's site and War Bonnet and after watching several videos this is what I'm considering. Hope to get some feedback from the experienced hammock hangers from the forum.

Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 single w/ adjustable webbing suspension, Superfly Tarp (may add the doors?), and using my Big Agnes Zirkel 20 degree bag w/ the BA insulmat in the sleeping bag sleeve. I know everyone is using bottom and top quilts, but I'm trying to use what I have to cut cost. Note the Blackbird has a built in foot box and the BA bag has the built in pad sleeve. So, I'm thinking (hoping) they could work together with the bag sliding right in to the foot box of the hammock and my weight keeping the bag face up even with shifting. What do you guys think? Given the 20 degree bag rating, what would be the estimated effective rating in a hammock?

Does anyone use a Big Agnes sleeping bag w/ built in Sleeve for hammocking? Pros and Cons?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    I have a WBBB and a Big Agnes. I eventually moved to quilts, just to try something new, but the wbbb/BA combo works great. My hiking buddy has the BA with pad in his eno doublenest and loves it. You probably won't want to inflate the pad all the way, so it isn't as rigid. The only couple of problems are shoulder coverage and zipper position. Your pad is only 20 inches wide, and you might get cold where your shoulders stick out and rub on the hammock wall. If you cut a piece of closed cell foam that is wider than your pad, and put it under in a "t" shape, you will be fine.

Also, it is a bit of a pain to get into a right-zip bag with a left-zip hammock like the wbbb, but it isn't a big deal. If your bag is a left zip, you are all set.

Thanks for the comments! Glad to hear from someone that has tried it. My BA happens to be a left zipper so I lucked out there. Have a buddy that is going to mail me his WBBB 1.7 double to try out w/ my BA Zirkel. I'll try it out "as is" initially and see how it works. I toss on both sides in a tent so we'll see how I sleep in a hammock.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Glad I could help. If you haven't used a WBBB before, you might want to check out the setup video on their website. http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/setup.php, especially the part about ridgeline tightness. I find this hammock is most comfortable when the ridgeline is a little loose. It should be able to pass the 90 degree bend test, like in the video. (even the test in the video is a little tight for me). Also, I think many people, including me, like the foot end a little higher than the head end. I know this seems counter-intuitive at first, but is is more comfortable that way. Enjoy.

• + New Posts