Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vandalia, OH
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Posts
    606
    Images
    17

    Favorite Chemical Foot Warmers For Cold Hammock Hangs

    I use the chemical warmers while hunting if it gets really cold. The ones I've used are actually TOO HOT when I have them in my boots and only by unlacing can I moderate. However I'm thinking that they may do just fine if I throw them down in the footbox of my sleeping bag when it gets cold.

    HeatMax Toasti Toes Foot Warmer is what I used.

    Any recommendations?
    (WM)===:::

  2. #2
    swampfox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Simpsonville, SC
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    1,130
    Images
    35
    I put a "Hot Hands" inside a shirt pocket or toss it in the bottom of my quilt.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northeast Georgia
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Posts
    464
    Images
    10
    I sewed a little envelope into my footbox made to fit a HotHands pouch. I think its a great idea but haven't been out since I did it.

    Jbo

  4. #4
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    I just grab whatever is out on the counter at the outfitters... haven't given actual brand names much thought. Maybe I'll start paying more attention now...


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

  5. #5
    Bipolar Bear Tobit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    814
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I just grab whatever is out on the counter at the outfitters... haven't given actual brand names much thought. Maybe I'll start paying more attention now...
    Same, whatever is on the counter and if there are more than one, I buy whatever is on-sale and stock up.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Auburn, MA
    Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Posts
    402
    Be Aware of the Expiration Dates

    These things lose effectiveness if they sit on the shelf too long.

    I try to use them up as the winter ends & I am careful when buying them at the start of the next winter
    Love my JRB BMB

  7. #7
    Senior Member rjcress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central NC
    Hammock
    DIY FrankenBird + 5 other DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Ogee, etc.
    Insulation
    IX UQ & TQ +fleece
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Posts
    762
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Be Aware of the Expiration Dates

    These things lose effectiveness if they sit on the shelf too long.
    I'll second that.
    Tried to use some that were expired a few weeks ago and they didn't even get a little bit warm.
    They were WAY out of date, but I expected at least a little warmth... and got nothing.
    Always had great results with non-expired ones though.

    Also, geez... 20 years ago, or more... I had a hand warmer pack that was about the same size as a hot hands pack, but thicker. It was flexible clear plastic with clear liquid and a little metal disc inside. Whey you flex the disk it would activate the warming. As the pack expended heat the clear liquid inside would crystalize.
    Dropping the pack in boiling water would "recharge" it and make the crystal convert back to liquid.
    It was an awesome, reusable little bit of kit.
    Anyone know is there is a reusable product like that on the market today?
    "I keep telling myself that if I make perfect seams, nobody will believe that I made it... " -JohnSawyer

    My outdoor gear review site http://gear-report.com
    Gear reviews, DIY / MYOG projects, Outdoor gear discounts, sales and coupons updated daily

  8. #8
    Senior Member moski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Posts
    1,560
    Images
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    Also, geez... 20 years ago, or more... I had a hand warmer pack that was about the same size as a hot hands pack, but thicker. It was flexible clear plastic with clear liquid and a little metal disc inside. Whey you flex the disk it would activate the warming. As the pack expended heat the clear liquid inside would crystalize.
    Dropping the pack in boiling water would "recharge" it and make the crystal convert back to liquid.
    It was an awesome, reusable little bit of kit.
    Anyone know is there is a reusable product like that on the market today?
    They are around, at least here in Sweden
    But didn't they run out fairly quick ?
    I might be remembering wrong or had bad ones?
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

  9. #9
    Senior Member perdidochas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    pensacola, FL
    Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I'll second that.
    Tried to use some that were expired a few weeks ago and they didn't even get a little bit warm.
    They were WAY out of date, but I expected at least a little warmth... and got nothing.
    Always had great results with non-expired ones though.

    Also, geez... 20 years ago, or more... I had a hand warmer pack that was about the same size as a hot hands pack, but thicker. It was flexible clear plastic with clear liquid and a little metal disc inside. Whey you flex the disk it would activate the warming. As the pack expended heat the clear liquid inside would crystalize.
    Dropping the pack in boiling water would "recharge" it and make the crystal convert back to liquid.
    It was an awesome, reusable little bit of kit.
    Anyone know is there is a reusable product like that on the market today?
    You can still get them. They only have about a 4 hr heat time at most, from what the ads say. Google "reusable handwarmer"

  10. #10
    Syb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Trenton, NJ
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL/DIY
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Posts
    1,644
    Images
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcress View Post
    I'll second that.
    Tried to use some that were expired a few weeks ago and they didn't even get a little bit warm.
    They were WAY out of date, but I expected at least a little warmth... and got nothing.
    Always had great results with non-expired ones though.

    Also, geez... 20 years ago, or more... I had a hand warmer pack that was about the same size as a hot hands pack, but thicker. It was flexible clear plastic with clear liquid and a little metal disc inside. Whey you flex the disk it would activate the warming. As the pack expended heat the clear liquid inside would crystalize.
    Dropping the pack in boiling water would "recharge" it and make the crystal convert back to liquid.
    It was an awesome, reusable little bit of kit.
    Anyone know is there is a reusable product like that on the market today?
    I have these and will be trying them at my first real hang this weekend. I'll also grab whatever is at the counter at Dicks/Sports Authority/Home Depot.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •