Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I would not be using a direct rope ring buckle, I would tie the rope with a larks head, pass it through a biner, and pass it through the ring again, and tie it off to itself. so what is better for me?

the uncovered would work just fine for that, just as long as you tie it off. i bet a single half hitch on a bight might even be enough, and just pull on the free end to pop the knot.

that way requires more line though, it gives you mechanical advantage to crank down with, which you don't want to do, having it go back and forth a couple times between the ring and biner will reduce the force on the end you need to tie off, thats why a simple half hitch or two would probably work, if you wanted to carry half as much line, you could just not run the line back and forth and use a more reliable knot than a simple half hitch, and you would only have the one strand of line between the hammock and the webbing.

if tying directly to the webbing, a suitable knot is the double sheetbend, possibly the single sheetbend depending on the stiffness of the webbing.

if tying a single strand to a ring, consider the mooring hitch.

if tying single strand to a biner, somebody mentioned a clove hitch finished with a bight working well i think. otherwise the mooring hitch could be used here too.

but if you are set on running a block and tackle type rigging, a half hitch or two would be fine
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 12-09-2007 at 21:12.