Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like fun to me! The later part of January looks pretty good...

I'd vote for car camping with day hikes (thats purely because of a lack of adequate winter backpacking gear on my part) :P

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post

I'd vote for car camping with day hikes (thats purely because of a lack of adequate winter backpacking gear on my part) :P
    For a winter hang, I think either car camping or a very short hike in are definitely a good idea for a group hang - we don't exactly get the huge turnouts Mt Rogers does, so I would like to do everything we can to encourage lots of people to make it.

Plus, it makes it easier to bail or retreat to the warmth of a car if anybody's cold weather gear isn't quite up to the task.

Edit: I also think MLK weekend would be perfect. Night hikes in the snow under a full moon are incredible. Pike or San Isabel both sound like good choices to me. Any thoughts on specific camping areas?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I would like to go. I am working nights in Jan and my wife is recovering from knee replacement surgery, so I have some obstacles to overcome. Maybe this trip will work out better than the other group hangs I have tried to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I believe that's why food suggested MLK weekend. I think it is a full moon weekend.

Ooops! Didn't see that one!

Images
    Hi Fellow Hangers,
    I'm new to this forum and just found this thread. I live in Littleton and would very much like to come hang with you guys if you'll have me.
    I recently retired from Lockheed and finely have to time to dust off the winter camping gear.
    I look forward to more details on your trip...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    We welcome all OutandBack, even the occasional tenter is welcome.
    Looks like you've already got the basics together, so I hope you can make it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Everybody is welcome!

There are several nice areas in Pike NF that should still be pretty accessible at that time. Rampart Range Road runs from Garden of the Gods to Sterling...it's wide, graded and very well maintained for a Forest Service road. Not sure it would be plowed, but I've been up there in Dec/Jan/Feb for camping trips and didn't have to put the Wrangler in 4WD. We could pick a site right by RRR to park at, then hike down one of the smaller Jeep trails to a more secluded site with better views (Chimney Rock, for example). And folks with 4x4s could ferry some of the bigger items to the sites if needed. (Even my Wrangler...no jokes about Jeeps in the snow...but I do have a recovery strap in there now... )

Rampart Reservoir has two established campgrounds, but I think we'd have to hike in a mile or two b/c they gate the road in winter. I'll have to check the regs on winter access...we may be able to ice fish, and a snow-covered Pikes Peak makes a good backdrop. That may be a good balance of access, views, stuff to do, etc.

And if not the reservoir, there are lots of other places nearby to choose from, and a handful of lakes.

Or we could base from the AF Academy and hike up the front range over the first ridgeline. Easy access to safe parking (cleared roads, patrolled lots), and not many people will be on the trails at that time. Most of the USAFA reservation is open to the public if you have a driver's license, and we'd be camping in Pike NF. I could hike up a couple days before and mark the path with streamers.

Just some ideas. I also have Colorado TOPO! and can post maps w/ waypoints once we decide on an area.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Hi Jeff,
    All these places sound good.
    Rampart Res is a very cool place. I kayak and Mtn Bike there often in summer.

For a hike/hang,
    might I suggest the CT (section 1 or 2) as a place to consider.

I've not done much winter car/hanging so no places comes to mind but that does sound nice. Having a vehicle near camp would mean firewood for a evening community fire.

Sounds like fun to me! The later part of January looks pretty good...

Flyboy, I have two of just about everything, yes I'm a gear junkie. lol, what would you need?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Section 2 of the CT is one of my least favorite stretches of land; it's a burn area that runs along a ridgeline that Mama Nature uses as a lightening rod.

Plus, camping is prohibited within some distance of the S Platte at the north end of the section and it's an exposed climb up to the abandoned quartz mine. After that you're still pretty exposed for the next mile or so. The south end of section 2/north end of section 3 might be good. There is a formal campground off of a paved/plowed road towards the end of section 2. Still a dry camp, but should be easy to get to assuming the gate isn't closed for winter. I'll be up in that area this weekend and can check.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I am past the deadline for me to be able to make changes to my original post - any of you folks with moderator powers care to edit that first post and change the title to reflect the dates for MLK weekend?

I like the idea of some of you who are more familiar with these areas scouting them out a bit, and definitely like the idea of being able to haul in some firewood in a car. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast