Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1diver View Post
    no sure about the size of leader I'm using but the looped end does not hold squat, I had to tape the end to the leader...
    Close your loop up with a pair of pliers. The "legs" of the loop should be touching.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe & ENO
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I use "blunt needles" to splice amsteel. They seem to work well. I had much better luck with them than the guitar wire I tried to use the first time. Some of the videos I watched on Youtube made using the wire look so easy, but no such luck here. Here is a photo of the type of needles I am talking about:

The one that I use I think I purchased in a cheep little assortment pack of needles from Wally World.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    thank you all
    I've managed to do it with the wire leaders, but will definitely try it using those needles as well!!!

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by cfisch9 View Post
    I use "blunt needles" to splice amsteel. They seem to work well. I had much better luck with them than the guitar wire I tried to use the first time. Some of the videos I watched on Youtube made using the wire look so easy, but no such luck here. Here is a photo of the type of needles I am talking about:

The one that I use I think I purchased in a cheep little assortment pack of needles from Wally World.
    +1 on using these

boot

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Sounds like you got some good advice, and that you got it in the end.

Just a thought for the next time, which may or may not be something obvious: pass as little of the line that is to be pulled into the bury through your splicing tool as possible. I find that whenever I have the worst problems trying to pull line through, it's because I have too much of the loose end in my wire/needle. When that happens, you're effectively trying to pull a double thickness portion through a tight spot, and it's harder to do. The tradeoff is that occasionally you'll not pass enough to hold it, and you'll lose the line halfway through trying to pull it through. But in this case, no harm no foul, you just pull it back out and start over.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Sounds like you got some good advice, and that you got it in the end.

Just a thought for the next time, which may or may not be something obvious: pass as little of the line that is to be pulled into the bury through your splicing tool as possible. I find that whenever I have the worst problems trying to pull line through, it's because I have too much of the loose end in my wire/needle. When that happens, you're effectively trying to pull a double thickness portion through a tight spot, and it's harder to do. The tradeoff is that occasionally you'll not pass enough to hold it, and you'll lose the line halfway through trying to pull it through. But in this case, no harm no foul, you just pull it back out and start over.
    Exactly.

I tried to say this...you said it better.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    incubator+burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I've been using a 3 foot section of guitar wire doubled over and "pinched" at the loop end. I hold the open end with a pair of vice grips, and feed the loop the length of my bury. Once I get it poked out to the other end of the bury, split the loop open and feed the taper into the loop, then simultaneously pull on the vice grips and push on the exit of the bury. This opens the weave of the rope while simultaneously pulling the taper through. I've found this technique to be easier and faster than any of the others I was using (first yarn needles, then an official splicing fid). You can't make a bury longer than 2-3 feet or so (however much of the amsteel you can thread the wire through) but I haven't had any need to. Another advantage of the guitar wire is that it really "grabs" the taper, I have yet to have it slip while pulling it through.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12