Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

DIY hennessy zipper mod question

Just a quick question before I get to work on this. Is it advisable to hem the mosquito net with a strip of ripstop before attaching it to the zipper? Or can the netting just be sewn directly to the zipper?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I usually do a folded hem in the netting and then sew it to the adjoining pieces, whatever they may be. Stitching a fold of ripstop would not gain anything beyond the simple sewing if you ask me. If the net is going to fray or pull out it can still do so. A folded hem helps prevent that possibility because of the folds in the netting itself.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Exped-Asym w/ DIY ZipMod
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I usually do a folded hem in the netting and then sew it to the adjoining pieces, whatever they may be. Stitching a fold of ripstop would not gain anything beyond the simple sewing if you ask me. If the net is going to fray or pull out it can still do so. A folded hem helps prevent that possibility because of the folds in the netting itself.
    Groovy. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I hope this don't come too late. I did mine directly on the net and upon entry and exit it creates a lot of tension at the ridge line. I put my buddies zipper 6" below the net / hammock seam. ALOT better. Mine is getting worn on the net. Small holes in the netting from dragging on the ridgline

Edit: forgot to mention.. I'm sewing my net back on and moving the zipper 6" belown the seam. It also makes for more comfortable lounging.
    Last edited by lattie11581; 12-22-2010 at 03:19. Reason: forgot

Hammock
    HH Exped-Asym w/ DIY ZipMod
    Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lattie11581 View Post
    I hope this don't come too late. I did mine directly on the net and upon entry and exit it creates a lot of tension at the ridge line. I put my buddies zipper 6" below the net / hammock seam. ALOT better. Mine is getting worn on the net. Small holes in the netting from dragging on the ridgline

Edit: forgot to mention.. I'm sewing my net back on and moving the zipper 6" belown the seam. It also makes for more comfortable lounging.
    Hrm. Thanks for the info. I would have thought the wear would be at the zipper seam, not the ridgeline...